More threads by prayerbear

SSI stands for

Social Security Insanity because every time you call your attorney, they are buried under a huge stack of SSI disability claims!

SSI stands for Social Security "Insanity" because the waiting for the decision drives you insane!!

Miss Clean

Brenda

I am in the process of applying for SSI. I applied for SSDI and I was denied because I would have had to be without work for a year before they even looked at me. SSI is a little different. They go by your assets, but they also go by your work history. My work history in the past 15 years has been upseting. I have had at least 35 jobs because of my inability to hold a job due to my bi-polar manic depreession. One year I had 9 W-2s. My tax preparer and I just laughed, even though it really wasn't that funny. Right now I am working part-time. I don't like being at home. My children are both teenagers and are hardly ever home. I would love to work full-time again, but if I want to get any type of disability, I can't. Two years ago, life was really good. I had a good job as a CNA, and I was off the system. I did receive Medicaid for my children and I. My son and I both takes meds. My son as Dermatomyositis, a form of juvenile arthritis. We are going to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota in April. The doctors here have given. They don't know what to do anymore with my son.

Getting back to SSI. I am doing a phone interview. I signed releases of information for all of the doctors, clinics, and hospitals I have frequented in the past 20 years. I also have to write down all the jobs I had 15 years prior to my inability to work. I could write a book with all the doctors, meds, and jobs I have had. I am not going to count my chickens. I am sure I will have to appeal. At least 80% of the cases do. Unless you are dying, they don't give it the first time around. I can't afford a lawyer. There is an Advocate 60 miles from where I live that is supposed to be really good. I will probably call him. I do know that if I get SSI, I still can work part-time. I love being a homemaker, but I am very outgoing and being around people helps me cope with my depression. I am going to start walking again once the snow is gone. It gets rid of a lot of my stress. I am hoping for the best, but if I don't get it right away, I will keep on trying. I am not a quitter. I am optimistic. My mother says things happen for a reason. But I always wonder why did I have to be bi-polar. And why did my son get his illness. I try to cope the best I can, but some days I feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Brenda, i hope the best for you that getting the SSI will work out. I believe it is true that most claims are initially denied, but many, many people who appeal go on to get it and it is good that you have located an advocate even if he is pretty far.

I understand about being around people. I am introverted, but I have found the more I am around people, even if at first it is uncomfortable, the better I feel. I think for me, it takes my mind of myself and my problems.

I wanted to say welcome too. I have been enjoying reading your posts. :)

stargazer

Well, I just now applied (for the 3rd time) for MediCal, and was advised to go IMMEDIATELY to the Social Security Administration to apply for SSI as soon as possible. The reason is that if I qualify for SSI, I'll get MediCal automatically, and it will take place faster. I was told it might take as long as a year to be approved for MediCal without also applying for SSI, but that if I am approved for SSI, benefits may begin in about five (5) months.

A friend of mine who is on SSI confirmed this. He also said that when the initial SSI check comes in, it will reflect the 5-month wait, and be retroactive including the amounts of those five months, all rolled in to one huge check. So it might be well worth the wait.

I've never done any of this before, though, so it seems as though I'm walking in the dark. What's good is that the social workers are so nice and knowledgeable, and they seem to help me along pretty well. But it took me a long time to figure out how to do the MediCal thing correctly. I have to prove that I have a disability, otherwise there is no way I can get health insurance through MediCal. So I'm trying to prove that my Bipolar One/Hypomanic is a disability, which I suppose will depend on factors such as job losses and sojourns in psych wards. It's all on the application. Wish me luck.

Halo

Stargazer,

Good luck in your endeavour to get the SSI and MediCal you need and deserve. My thoughts and prayers are with you. ;)

Nancy

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Good luck, stargazer. Don't be dismayed if they make you jump through a few hoops and even deny your application initially - sometimes I think they do that just to see how persistent you'll be. :rolleyes:

stargazer

There may be some truth in that. They may be weeding out those who don't really care, or who don't need it that much.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Or those who don't have the strength to fight. I've had to advocate for several clients over the years - that's why I warn people to expect that they may be denied initially.

stargazer

Hmmm. I was denied MediCal initially. Actually, the first time the process stopped in the office when I neglected to state that I had a disability. I then learned that a man my age is ineligible for MediCal now unless he has a disability. So I went to the local branch of County Mental Health, where they tried to verify that I had a disability and advocate for me. This enabled me to apply, but then I was denied on the basis of not providing documentation to support that I have a disability, despite that I had signed the relevant release forms, so they could access my medical records. This time, I did all that again in the office, but I also am applying for SSI, because somehow that's supposed to help.

Part of my problem is that I don't understand how they could not have gained access to my medical records, or why they said that I had neglected to provide documentation for my disability. So I'm basically afraid that the same thing will happen all over again.

Brenda

Good luck stargazer!

I am awaiting a decision on SSI. I applied in March. There is a lot of paperwork to fill out, but it has to be done. I signed at least ten releases of information for doctors. I have had that many in the past 20 years. I am not getting my hopes up. My doctor said the people that really need it, sometimes don't get it right away and have to appeal it. I am not sure what Medical is. I receive Medicaid for me and my children. If I didn't, I don't know what I would do. Our pills are at least $800 a month. I was approved for Medicaid almost immediately. It covers everything. It covers dentist visits, eyecare, hospital stays appointments at the clinic, and medication. I pay a co-pay, but that is only $3 for meds and $2 for office visits. My son doesn't have to pay anything. I know an Advocate who will help me if I am denied.

stargazer

Brenda, I think MediCal is a State of California program that offers health insurance to people who can't afford it if they are either under 18, over 65, or have a disability that inhibits them from working. I think Medicaid is a national program. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was told I would probably be eligible for Medicaid too, if my SSI application is approved.

poohbear

Is it just me, or is it totally disgusting how those with documented psychological disorders are sometimes (quite often, actually) denied claims or benefits? It seems that if we don't have a obvious "visible" disability, they are inclined to believe we are perfectly capable of normal function? I had to fight nearly tooth and nail for disability while pregnant and experiencing psychological issues. In fact, I was entitled to a benefit I was completely unaware of (through my employer) that I only found out about through a slip of the tongue of my employer while getting information on how to send in some documentation.--Poohbear

stargazer

I don't really know much about it, Poohbear. This is the only time in my life I've seen fit to apply for any of these benefits. I do see that I have three friends who have qualified, and who receive both SSI and SSDI. Each of them believes I ought to qualify without any problem, but perhaps I'm over-optimistic. We'll see what happens. I did apply both for SSI & SSDI this morning, as scheduled.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think that is definitely true, poohbear. The attitude seems to be one of "if there's no visible injury or x-ray or blood test we can look at, you're faking it" -- even some doctors and psychiatrists seem to take that view. I have advocated on behalf of clients several times, using clinical notes and psychological testing to back up the claims, and even then it's a struggle although in the end the claim is usually accepted.

Brenda

It has been awhile since I was here. My SSI claim was denied. I was kind of expecting that. I now have a lawyer who is helping me appeal it. She will only charge a percentage if I win.

Here is their reasoning for not giving me SSI:
~~Your condition has not severely affected your thinking abilities.
~~You are able to understand and remember basic instructions and do normal activities.
~~Your condition has responded to treatment.
~~The reports do not show any other condition which would significantly limit your ability to work.

Based on your description of the job you performed as a blackjack dealer for approximately 3 years, we have determined that you have the ability to perform this type of work as you described it.

Well, I haven't worked since May 20. I am living on TANF, which is temporary assistance for needy families. I receive $577 a month. I also have Medicaid which pays my medication. I was hoping to get child support. But I found out that he sent $1777 and that all went back to the state to cover the TANF I have already received. So it's just a cycle that goes around and around.

My psychiatrist told me to keep a log of how I am feeling every day. She had a patient that won her claim because of this journal that she kept.

Living on $577 is not easy. My daughter works and helps me out. She is 16-years-old, but she acts like she is at least 21. She is growing up too fast.

I have to keep my chin up. Every day is a challenge for me. Last time I saw my doctor, she put me on Lamictal and took me off Trileptal. I am still on Lithium, Wellbutrin, and Seroquel. Lamictal is supposed to be for bi-polar but it also treats epilepsy. I haven't been sleeping at night. I don't go to bed until 4 a.m. An hour later the sun is coming up and I can't sleep. The Lamictal causes insomnia. I haven't really felt a change. But it takes at least one to two months to take effect. I see her tomorrow.

I am persistent, and I will not give up. I want to work, but I just can't keep a job. I don't know what they are thinking. I have had so many jobs in the past 20 years I can't even count them anymore.

Halo

Brenda, I just wanted to say that I see so much optimism (sp) in your post. I am glad that you are not going to stop and will fight for what you believe is needed. Please just keep up that strength although I know at times it may be hard and do let the lawyers handle the legal end of things. You take care of looking after you.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.