More threads by Xelebes

Xelebes

I'm putting the triggers tag because there may be triggers that will creep in this thread. I will try to avoid introducing them.

Anyways, I notice a lack of discussion on this subject. I know that for many survivors of this, it might be best to join advocacy groups or dialing a lawyer but when you are did that and the abuse stops, what then? Maybe some professionals can chip in.

Institutional abuse is different from domestic abuse - it is an abuse that happens from outside the family and it is done by people who have legal authority to. There are either written procedures that dictate that it can be done and is done liberally. The most obvious example is state-sanctioned torture. But it can be adminstered by other means. You could have gotten out of a poorly-ran jail. You could end up in a school where the child ends up in a situation where the child is locked up, beaten, raped or verbally abused by the staff. You could have experienced improper medical procedures or had out-right quackery done on you. You could end up in a church where abuse is rife. You could have gotten yourself employed in a business that is run in a grossly inethical manner which perpetuates abuse and violations of boundaries on employees and customers.

This is something that I have been looking into as this was something I experienced as a child (a school poorly ran with the administration electing to coop me up in a closet-sized room while lying to my parents.) It is something that I am studying as a person who likes looking into the actual rules and how organisations are ran. Going to business school certainly allows me to get a good look at how some things are done. But yeah, I just wanted to open the floor and see if anybody wanted to talk about it from a psychological perspective and how survivors cope with it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.