More threads by Sanjuro21

Sanjuro21

Hi,my mental health during covid restrictions and lockdowns plus antidepressants i took that period,made me gain 15kg and be overweight,every monday i try to start calorie deficit,nutrition and gym,but lack of courage,low motivation,hold me back every time,so dissapointement comes and retire the efforts.:rolleyes: My BMI now is 29,i need to at least to 25 to feel healthy and in good condition.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
For me, the easiest way to boost motivation is to involve others. This is called "social facilitation." So you may get a boost in motivation by talking to your doctor, chatting with a nutritionist, or joining a fitness class.

Meditation, relaxation, or mindfulness as well as humor (like watching comedies) can help in various ways to help the mind and body feel safe. If you don't feel safe, it is harder to focus on healthier routines. For some people, the easiest way to meditate regularly is to do so in a group setting or with the help of an app like Calm. But just breathing deeply a few times throughout the day can help.

Many people, including myself, have a lifetime habit of using food to self-soothe or reduce anxiety. So a holistic approach that considers one's psychological and spiritual needs is often best.

Since you are dealing with behavior change, small, incremental changes are more likely to become a permanent lifestyle. It is easier to prevent future weight gain than to induce permanent weight loss. Most people who lose weight gain it back, which is why weight loss as a goal is not as helpful as incremental lifestyle changes.

It usually helps to reduce one's intake of high-sugar beverages (like soda and fruit juice) and to make sure you are getting enough sleep. If you are doing these things already, the important thing is to "keep the faith."

Personally, my limited willpower is lowest at night. So instead of eating near bedtime, I will chew sugarless gum, have a few hard candies, or drink low-sugar beverages.

Sanjuro21

I need self dispcline which i don't have,some stable nutrition with calorie deficit which i can't have due to not good daily job program,some time for daily routine basic gym,which i don't have too.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I would argue it's easier to reach your goals when you feel safe or "grounded." A similar concept in DBT is "wise mind" ("the balance between the logical and emotional minds").

Then the changes you want to make will take less effort or even happen almost automatically -- at least for a longer period of time than trying to force things with willpower or self-discipline alone.

People tend to put themselves down when it comes to our all-too-human, limited amount of willpower or self-control. There are different ways to increase executive functioning, including physical exercise and mindfulness, but it's a long-term process for the most part. It's another reason small changes or small goals can be the most effective. Or just focusing on one small change instead of multiple changes.

Regarding calorie reduction, the research strongly favors lifestyle changes rather than dieting. In other words, little changes over time rather than big but temporary changes.

So even the most minor lifestyle changes can help. Like eating more fruit or veggies. Or watering down one's favorite juice. Sitting less, standing more. Walking faster or jogging/sprinting short distances. Or doing one or two squats or lunges here and there. Some busy people will even do squats in the shower. It all adds up over time to a healthier way of living.

Sanjuro21

My job program is afternoon only,from noon 14pm till 22 night,so i only have a few 1-2 hours at mornings to do some basic gym.:(

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
There are some guidelines here:

"You should aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on most days, in addition to a general message of moving more and sitting less."

Sanjuro21

I think i have to learn how to build self dispcline without after awhile retire from keep trying for the target.I have lost many times in the past pounds and lose weight,but i did it cause i felt i wanted that moment and nothing was programed before,i just started one day to go for walking,for bike road trips,eating more healthy and cutting junkies.Without pushing for the result to come.

Sanjuro21

I stuck at 90kg,my BMI is 30,should get down to 25 to be and feel healthy,i must push my self for nutrition and gym,a month ago i go to gym,most in mornings,but my time is limited so i cannot do much as i want,to follow a specific program that will help me to lose pounds and calories.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Do you sit most of the day, such as at work? Sitting less and being outside more is my primary health goal of late. Once I am outside, I am already exercising more than I normally would indoors. The sunlight is also an instant mood lifter for me, and the extra vitamin D helps too. I am also trying to do more things on my mobile phone and less on the desktop.

Also, to be "stuck" at the same weight is in some ways an achievement -- at least compared to gaining weight. So that can be celebrated. As I sometimes tell myself: If I don't celebrate these small steps, who will?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.