More threads by Charity

Hello to all...

I'm new to this forum; this is my first post. I've just been diagnosed with BPD, and I'm hoping to find friends and support here. A little background...

I've been sick since I was about fourteen. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety when I finally sought help at around nineteen and have been taking SSRI's and benzos since then, but things still weren't right. It finally got to the point (with mood outbursts, self-injury, and generally feeling miserable) that I decided to see a psychologist for "talk" therapy, which I had avoided up to this point-- I just started a couple of months ago. I got my fancy new diagnosis just a few days ago, and I know that it fits me to a T. This is what's been wrong all along, just undiagnosed.

I'm weaning off my Celexa this week so that I can start Anafranil soon, which my MD and therapist both seem to think will help me better than the SSRI's have. I've never done tricyclics, so I'm not sure what to expect here... I just know that I'm completely miserable lately, and coming off the meds isn't helping. I refuse to call in sick to work (I do work full-time, somehow) and just muddle through the best I can.

This is a really small town, population around 3000, and there's NOTHING here by way of support groups or understanding folks to talk with. I'm desperately hoping to find that here.

Please, respond in full force! I could use it. And feel free to ask anything you want; I have no problem answering. I know that I'll do best by being as open and honest as possible through this.

Anyone?

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
There are lots of nice folks here :)

Changing meds can be difficult, I have done it quite a few times. I like you, just persevered and kept reminding myself that soon I would be on a new med and feeling better again :)

Welcome to the group Charity!

Retired

Welcome to Psychlinks, Charity! Feel free to ask all your questions here, and we'll do our best to offer support and to point you in the right direction.

It sounds like you are on the right track working with your doctor and therapist.

If you have not already done so, you may wish to read on overview of Anafranil on this Rx-List page which is one of many resources to provide a scientifically accurate overview.

Other resources are available, which we can point you to if you wish.

Although not everyone experiences all adverse effects with any given medication, these are a list of possible side effects (source:Rx-List)

The most commonly observed adverse events associated with the use of Anafranil and not seen at an equivalent incidence among placebo-treated patients were gastrointestinal complaints, including dry mouth, constipation, nausea, dyspepsia, and anorexia; nervous system complaints, including somnolence, tremor, dizziness, nervousness, and myoclonus; genitourinary complaints, including changed libido, ejaculatory failure, impotence, and micturition disorder; and other miscellaneous complaints, including fatigue, sweating, increased appetite, weight gain, and visual changes.

Dry mouth, constipation, nausea and drowsiness are the most common, which your doctor can help you control. Discuss potential strategies to help deal with possible side effects, and be sure to report any changes once you begin taking the medication.

Your doctor will tell you many of these side effects tend to decrease with time as your brain chemistry becomes acclimated to the new chemical balance.

Tell your doctor about any prescribed and over the counter meds or herbal preparations you might be taking and speak to your doctor and pharmacist about the potential drug interactions.

You can also check for drug interactions by using one of the better online interaction checkers listed HERE

You may also be interested in learning more about drug interactions in the Psychlinks section dedicated to the topic HERE

Wow... I've been looking at so many online forums, and they've all been so disappointing-- until now. I think I've found a home... and I think you'll be hearing a lot from me in the days to come. This is exactly what I was needing, and I thank you all so much!

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Wow... I've been looking at so many online forums, and they've all been so disappointing-- until now. I think I've found a home... and I think you'll be hearing a lot from me in the days to come. This is exactly what I was needing, and I thank you all so much!

Over the years, I have joined other online self-help/support group style forums too and honestly, I have never seen one like this.

I am so blessed to have found this forum and the folks here. It is really great! The information is great, the folks are great.

Again Charity, welcome :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.