More threads by BrokenHearted

Lana

Here's another link to a PDF that talks about
Treatment choice in psychological therapies and counselling: Evidence based clinical practice guideline

These clinical practice guidelines were developed to aid decisions about which forms of psychological therapy are most appropriate for which patients. They address who is likely to benefit from psychological treatment, and which of the main therapies available in the NHS is most appropriate for which patients. They also consider which other factors need to be taken into consideration. The guidelines have been produced by a multi-disciplinary guideline development group, led by the British Psychological Society, and they have undergone extensive independent scientific review.

It has a link where the PDF can e downloaded.

Thank you for listening JKG

Hi Thatlady

I am finding it quite hard to keep my consentration at the moment but I will try and explain. If I am repeating myself please excuse me I cannot remember what I have already said.

I felt unable to verbalize what I was feeling I did not know what the feeling was and why I was behaving the way I was. There was so many shocks that had occurred with no resolution insight... I know I need to come to terms with my situation as there is no solution but I feel devastated.. I feel such a failure... I blame myself I feel uselless and worthless ... I suppose this is how I felt as a child hense the flashbacks... My childhood stutter had returned and I could not stop shaking... I now know why...

I can speak it is just that my mind keeps going blank. On my last assessment I told the psychologist my revelation of being shamed and humiliated alhough I was unable to go into to much detail as to why I felt this way. He said he thought that I needed something more stuctured as I still could not speak properly [ story of my life I never have been able to speak properly ] I know he never ment it in this way I really tried but felt so uncomfortable.

I do not know how I can be helped because I was told I was to stupid to learn how to read and write. I went throgh my schooling achieving nothing as I was always in anticipation but as I now know it was fear of being shamed and humiliated again.

I have repetitive thoughts to cut my wrist.. I am no good.. it is not logical because the easiest way would be to take an overdose.

Thank you David and Lana

I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I felt to scared to look I have isolated myself and felt alone. I started this post yesterday I find it difficult to write I am really sorry about my previous post. I just felt tottally overwhelmed.

Thank you all

ThatLady

Well, sweetheart, as I see it you "speak" very well in this venue. In my experience, it isn't unusual for people to have real trouble verbalizing what hurts them deeply. It's just not something that's easily talked about. Perhaps, if you write it down (even type it out, like you do here, then print it) and take that to your therapist, you can get across the essence of what you're trying to deal with.

You're not bad. You're not a failure. You're a person who's undergone some very difficult trials and is trying very hard to deal with the aftermath of those trials while simultaneously living life...which has its everyday ups and downs. If you think of it that way, you'll realize that you're just like many of the rest of us...you're not worthless, or unworthy of love and care. You're you, a person we're glad to have as one of us. :)

roblem is that I do not have a theripist. I have answered approximatly three hundred questions and have been turned dowm twice for different therapies. At my last assessment I was told if he put me through for another therapy there would be a lot more questions to answer. I feel totally demoralized.

Really really low so depressed. I keep searching for answers but nothing seems to fit. How can anyone help if I cannot seem to help myself... I'm so fed up living like this. My day turns into a week... My week turns into a month.... month turns into a year eighteen months later... I'm still unable to move on... Feels like I have been frozen in time.

My day consists of getting up.... getting washed and dressed or maybe not... Doing what is required... cooking cleaning washing... I cannot seem to motivate myself to do anything... even having conversations with other family members seems like such an effort... nothing seems to matter anymore... I do not go out and socialize anymore choosing to cut myself off from everyone... I cannot seem put on a false front anymore pretending that I'm happy when I'm not...I hate being this way but feel unable to control how I feell... I don't want my friends and family seeing me like this as they have always known me to be a happy person someone who always bounces back regardless of what life throws at you... I know they are there to help me but I keep pushing everyone away...I don't know why.. It makes me feel really bad as I know they feel helpless as to how and help me... Sorry to be so negative I just can't see anything positive

What I was wondering about if it is possible for a person to regress back to a former emotional state of mind when you were helpless and unable to express your thoughts and feelings and so therefore lost your sense of identity.... In other words who you are what you think and feel... My situation was hopeless and I was helpless as to what to do... The last time I would have felt like this is when i was a child... This is the only explaination I have managed to come up with as to my present situation.... I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else

I'm so messed up and confused trying to find answers to my problems feels like I'm going round in circles and getting no where... If the above is a possibility that means I have lived my life never really knowing who I was... where do I go from here... Why do I not feel anger hate and bitterness as to what happened to me... how do I move on if I'm so disconnected....

I don't know how much longer I can go on like this... I feel I'm just exsisting... I don't see a future and if my future is what it is now what is the point.

Any thoughts or suggestions.... Any books that anyone could recommend that may be of help. I would appreciate any help... I feel quite desperate.

Thanks

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I am at a loss here. I do not understand a system that tells someone they don't 'qualify' for psychotherapy - maybe i just don't understand the health system over there but it makes no sense to me at all.

In general, I think there are some helpful resources in Resources, Self-Help Exercises, Readings, especially:

Feelings and the Thoughts That Control Them

Good books on Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT): David Burns

The Ten Forms of Twisted Thinking

See also:

Depression

Anxiety

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Adult Survivors

I can't recall if you are currently taking any medications - if not, perhaps you could talk to your family doctor about this. I would assume you don't need to be "accepted" into psychotherapy for that.

Your doctor might also know about support groups that wouldn't have that bizarre "acceptance" policy. If not, send me your location and I'll see what i can find in the way of support groups.

Thank you Dr Baxter for the links

Ido not know what to do with myself I feel so incredille low...

I'm on an antipressent mirtazapine 45mg.... They feel that medication is not going to help in my case. I think because it is reactionary.

Thanks for your help....I really do appriciate it

Thanks

What I was wondering about if it is possible for a person to regress back to a former emotional state of mind when you were helpless and unable to express your thoughts and feelings and so therefore lost your sense of identity.... In other words who you are what you think and feel... My situation was hopeless and I was helpless as to what to do... The last time I would have felt like this is when i was a child... This is the only explaination I have managed to come up with as to my present situation.... I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else

I just wanted to say that I can relate to this. I can relate to a lot of the things you said in your post. I believe there is hope for you.

Maybe your doctor could try a different antidepressant. Some work better for some people.

Hi Janet

Thank you for understanding and believing there is hope for me. It does help somewhat to know I'm not the only peron to feel like this...You and others on this forum are an inspiration to us all... Thank you'

I'm really scared about going to the doctors and telling him that the medication is not working... I'm frightened in case he wants to send me the hopital... I have never been in one and it scares me.

thanks

ThatLady

Usually, hon, other antidepressant medications will be tried before resorting to hospitalization. Hospitalization is a last-ditch effort, not an early choice. I don't think it's something to worry about in your case. You probably just need a different medication. :)

Really bad day yesterday I could not stop crying... I went to bed last night telling myself things would probably seem different in the morning... I hardly slept at all.

You are right Thatlady maybe a different antidepressant would help... I will make a appointment to see the doctor... I suppose I'm overreacting and seeing the worse possible case scenario... My mother is seriously ill and I do not want to add to her worries.

Thanks for advice

Holly

Hi BrokenHearted,
I just wanted to let you know your in my thoughts, I hope the medication/are change in medication will help you during this time.
If your under stress meds sometimes may not work as well at first.
With your mother being ill, you may want to give your self time to see how it works.
I know when my mother was ill my body felt not normal, with not much sleep I am sure you feel changes also.
I hope you have a better week, Brokenhearted.
:) ALL THE BEST TAKE CARE

Hi Holly

Thanks for your kind words of comfort it means so much to me. I don't know what I would have done without this forum so many loving caring people.

I can relate to the body changes I feel so sick and bloated and with my blacks eyes through lack of sleep I look like a panda bear.

Thanks again

Take care

Hi Dr Baxter

I just wanted to let you know I am internaly grateful for all your help and support. The links you gave me were very helpful... You have a wonderful webb site I'm so pleased I found it.... I can't express my gratitude to you and others on this forum... you are truly a life saver

Thank you all so much

I just wanted to say that I think it is a good idea to talk with your doctor about medication changes. I agree with ThatLady, I doubt that would cause you to be hospitalized. I really hope you can find the right medication and get some relief from all this pain inside.

ThatLady

I'm really sorry to hear your mother is ill, hon. I do hope she feels better soon. In the meantime, while taking care of her is important, be sure not to forget that taking care of yourself is just as important. Lotsa hugs coming your way.

Janet I have phoned to try and get an appointment with the doctor hopefuly I will hear back from them tomorrow.

Thatlady I am not so sure my mum will get better... she has one blocked heart artery and one narrowed one... she had a heart attack in february and it was deemed to be inoperable at that time... The doctors are going to review her situation in june... I really hope that thay can do something for her.

Thanks for the hugs I could really do with some right now.......

Take care

ThatLady

With one blocked artery and one partially blocked artery, why are they saying the condition is inoperable? I'd ask some questions of the doctors to determine why they feel they cannot operate, and what treatment they are proposing in lieu of surgery. It's always good to ask questions and insist on being informed of the reasons behind decisions being made.

Hi Thatlady

The reason why the doctors were unable to operate was because the clot was to deep I'm unsure exactly what thay mean by that but I'm assuming the clot was to close to the heart. Thay said to do any other procedure at this present time would be deprimental to her. Thay felt that the best coarse of action was to give the heart a chance to heal as there is damage to it. Thay have put her on a number of different medications in the mean time and hope to review her situation in june. .. We are all extremely concerned about her and can only hope and pray that thay will be able to do something for her.

Take care

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.