More threads by BrokenHearted

ThatLady

Hmm. There must be something we don't know here. Normally, if arteries in the heart are blocked, a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) procedure can be done to route blood around the blockages. Multiple bypasses are possible, and the surgery is very common these days.

Arteries aren't usually blocked by clots, but by plaque buildup. A heart attack happens when a partially blocked artery is completely shut off by either a clot, or a piece of plaque that has broken loose from vessel walls. If it's a clot that causes the complete blockage, said clot can often be dissolved, if it's caught quickly enough. If not, the patient is placed on a blood thinner (like heparin) to allow the clot to eventually dissipate, or pass on through.

Does your mother have any other conditions that might be complicating things?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Could it be age-related, TL? Might it be that they are worried about her ability to weather either the surgery or the anesthetic?

How old is your mom, Brokenhearted?

ThatLady

These days, at least here in the States, bypass surgery is done for people in their 70's, provided there are no comorbid conditions. With only about a 3% failure rate, it's a pretty good bet to add another ten or so years to the life of a relatively healthy person. That's what got me wondering. I think there must be something here that the family isn't understanding correctly.

Hi Thatlady

After my mum had her heart attack she was kept in hospital for a month while waiting to be
transfered to another hospital that specializes in heart conditions. We were led to believe that thay were going to do the procedure that you mentioned. it was heartbreaking as my mother was told thay were going to go ahead with it and was prepped to go to theater and at the last minute it was cancelled. Thay were not happy to go ahead untill a top consultant gave his opinion as to what could be done. My mother sat in the hospital a further four days watching people having that procedure done and going home within fortyeight hours.

My mums present situation is that she can not lay down to sleep she has a continual cough and fluid on the right lung. She is being monitered in out patients every two weeks. She is on heparin.

Dr Baxter I do not think it is anything to do with age as to why thay cannot do the procedure although she does have other health problems. She is seventy years old. My mum and dad have private health care insurance and I think if thay could do anything thay would have. My dad was so frantic he offered to pay them with his own money but thay said it was not in her best interest to do anything at the present time.

Thanks Janet I hope that thay will be able to do something for her in june.

I have a appointment to see the doctor at the end of may. I'm feeling quite stressed out as I have been told to decrease my medication by 15mg OMG I can't believe it I just had a phone call will talk later

ThatLady

Is your mother a smoker (or ex-smoker), or does she have asthma? I'm asking in an effort to learn a little more about her condition. If she has COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), that could be a reason for the doctors to hesitate in going ahead with open heart surgery; particularly, with the fluid present in the lung. Pneumonia is a very real threat under these conditions, and it could be extremely difficult to get your mother off a ventilator (which would have to be used during the surgery). Have they "tapped" the lung at all (put in a tube to pull off the fluid)?

Fluid on the lung can be caused by heart failure, or by a lung condition. I'm trying to determine which condition is being dealt with here. It sounds as though the doctors are trying to get the fluid to dissipate before they proceed. As a side note, the coughing isn't a bad thing, hon. It helps to get that fluid up and out of the lung, and most people who have breathing difficulties find they sleep better if they're sitting at least partially erect. It helps, as well, to be sure your mother moves often when she sleeps in order to keep the fluid mobile and avoid infection.

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through all this. It's so very difficult when a family member is really sick and there's nothing to be done but wait. Everyone feels so helpless and frustrated. Please, keep us informed as to her progress. Hopefully, the doctors will be able to get the fluid build-up under control so they can go ahead with treatment for the heart problems.

Hi Thatlady

I'm feeling really really stressed out my dad colapsed today he was taken to hospital thay want him to see a neurolgist. He was walking the dog became really dizzy and could not see he was disoriented and could not remember what happened. He has had a headache I'm really worried what is wrong thay have let him out of the hospitall but he is not to be left alone. He has been told to see the doctor on monday to arrange to see a nerologist.

I'm sorry I can't think straight

I'm so sorry about that. Please keep us updated if you can and if you feel like it.

You and your mom and dad are in my thoughts.

ThatLady

Oh, dear, hon! You're the poster family for "When it rains, it pours" right now! I'm so sorry! :(

There are a couple of things that could have caused your father's problem. Do you know what kind of tests they ran in the hospital? A CAT scan would be used to see if there was a stroke, or some other problem within the brain. Sometimes, a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), or mini-stroke, can cause this type of symptom. Treatment for that usually involves being placed on oral blood thinning medication to reduce the incidence of clots. Does your father take an aspirin daily? Does he have any medical conditions that you know of?

Janet I'm sorry about yesterday my mind was all over the place.

Hi Thatlady

My mum does smoke... She does not have asthma or pheumonia although she does have a pump to keep her airways open. Her lung has not been tapped but thay did give her a drug that seemed to ease the pain she was having. The family do believe that she has heart failure although we have not been told that by anyone. She is taking sixteen different medications a day for blood pressure thyroid duretics stomach heart and has a angina pump.

You are absolutely right " when it rains, it pours" I do not know which one I should be more concerned about at this present time.

My dad is seventy five he has had cancer of the bowel and liver but has been clear now for six years. He is very active for his age plays golf three times a week and also plays bowls. He does take one asprin a day.

At the hospital thay did check his blood pressure urine reflexes blood and memory recall. I assume the referral to the neurologist would be for him to have a CAT scan.

I was wondering could this possibly be stress related.

Thanks for listening

Take care

ThatLady

Yes, hon, it could be stress related. You'll know more when a CAT scan is done. In the meantime, I'll be thinking about your family and hoping that things start to turn around for all of you.

Considering your mother's illnesses, it's easier to understand why the doctors were reluctant to operate. Hopefully, they'll be able to get her in a bit better shape and then try a bypass. In the meantime, all you can do is offer your support and your love. Many times, those things are what tips the balance.

Hi Janet

You really are a very thoughtful caring person, Sometimes the least said can mean so much more. Thank you for thinking of me.

My dad seems to be ok, The doctor thinks that it was a possible mini stroke or something to do with his pituitary gland.

I was in a bit of a state over the weekend as the psychiatrist had suggested that I was to decrease my medication by 15mg a week.. I was quite panicked and felt unable to do so without having anything else to take its place... I was really worried that I would not be able to control my thoughts or actions of self harm [ no history of self harm ] or suicide. I went to see him on monday and he said I could take extra diazepam untill he could start me on a new antidepressent venlafaxine

The psychiatrist has told me that he has heard back from the pschotherapy unit and that thay believe I have PTSD thay have recomended trauma therapy to help me deal with flash backs.

I have told the psychiatrist that I do not believe my condition will improve with medication. The therapy may help with flashbacks but that still leaves me with parts of myself that are not intergrated. I do not feel anger and hate... I fear anger. He has told me that I have repressed my anger... How do I intergrate myself if I knew how to I would... Every book I read mentions anger and I can not relate to it although I know I should.

If anyone has any suggestions on books regarding intergration or any other alternative approach I could use I would be most grateful

Take care

Hi there. :)

I was reading back over your posts and saw where you were called stupid a lot? I think that is so very sad and so untrue. You're very articulate and intelligent. I can tell that. I'm sorry you were hurt like that.

I am glad your father seems to be ok. 'Hopefully his doctor can figure out what happened and treat it.

I really, really hope you are able to get into therapy.

I can relate to fearing anger. I think for me I am afraid that if I let myself feel anger then it will be so much it will overwhelm me and something bad will happen, that I will have a breakdown or something. But it seems like not feeling it isn't good either. Maybe anger turns into other things, like self hate or depression or anxiety. I'm not sure.

I will try to look around on the internet for some books or articles or something about this. I can't think of any that I've ever seen, but I haven't really looked either. I'll see what I can find.

Hope your weekend goes well. :)

Janet I'm sorry about the delay in replying to your post but i'm finding it quite hard to stay focused.

Thank you for the compliment and understanding how negative input given as a child can affect the way you percieve yourself as an adult.

I'm sure my father will be ok, it is just a case of waiting for the test results to come through.

I can understand your reluctance to feel your anger and being overwhelmed by it, also I believe you are right about anger turning into other things. The mind is so complex everyone is unique what may be right for one person would not necessarily mean it would be right for another person. I admire your strength and courage, I'm amazed you have never had counselling... How do you cope when you are feeling overwhelmed... I hope you do not mind me asking.

I have been reflecting back over my consultation with psychiatrist and something that he said, which was that it would be very painful and overwhelming to deal with my past. I have thought about this long and hard , I'm left wondering do thay really understand that I am already overwhelmed with my feelings... how can it be any more painful than it already is...

It is really nice of you to try and help me and I do appreciate you looking for any information that may help me... Bless you and thank you.

Take care

Don't ever worry about responding to me. I understand how it can be. I don't want you to worry about that at all. :)

I'm still looking for articles about repressed anger. There are lots of articles about how to deal with anger that you do feel. I'm going to keep looking. I'm interested in this topic too.

Anyway, take care and hang on.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.