More threads by SoSo

SoSo

Can a person have what I call depression spasms? That is the way I think of it. I used to have days, weeks or months of depression but that I don't have anymore, thankfully. I was diagnosed with clinical depression, etc. Now, usually on a daily basis, I am fine, doing what I need to do. I can be doing anything, then...wham, in tears or just sit and feel so depressed. It may last a few minutes or sometimes half an hour, then goes away. I call it spasms because it reminds me of the muscle spasms I have, just grab me, hold me in it's grip for a time, then lets go. For the most part I am doing okay now but just wondered if anyone else experiences this or if there is a name for it.
SoSo

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I suspect that you're doing things to hold the depression (or dysthymia) at bay and then intermittently either you let down your guard or something penetrates it... and then you regroup and reestablish your usual defenses and you feel "normal" again. It's also possibile that this represents a kind of fragility or vulnerability - you're OK until certain types of stressors coalesce in your life and that tips you back into depressed mood until you can regroup.

Hi that is a good name for these spells Soso spasms where it just grabs you unguarded out of no where. I think alot can relate to what you said. i hope after your news today you have less spasm free days take care okay.

SoSo

Yes, there are triggers sometimes but not always. Just all of a sudden out of nowhere, wham, a depression spasm takes hold of me. I feel like I have been head butted in the stomach, all the wind taken out of me. I usually talk myself out of it but sometimes I just need to cry it out for whatever reason, then, feel better. Most of the time now, I am happy, feel more in control of my life. I suppose the 'spasms' as I call them are better than the 24-7 depression I would go through for weeks or months at a time so guess I should be thankful for the improvement. I will have to see if I can figure out how to get to the root of it all and work it out, eventually. One step at a time.
Thanks, SoSo

Jazzey

Account Closed
I usually feel the heartache before I can pinpoint it. It's the heartache that usually tells me that I'm hitting that spot again. And then I have to work backwards to figure out where the heartache is coming from.

SoSo

Thanks Jazzey for saying what I couldn't, that usually when these spasms as I call them hit me it is because something just hurts so bad, heartache, that I feel I can't breath, can't move, just grabs me and locks me in it's grip for a short time, just like the muscle spasms grab my body at times. After, I am ok, can remember how I felt, where or what caused it, just don't understand the 'why' of it because some of it goes back decades and I thought I had dealt with all that 'old' stuff. Perhaps not:eek:mg:. Oh well, as Sonny and Cher sang...the beat goes on, so will I.
SoSo

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

I know, many may be asking...who the heck are Sonny and Cher:rofl:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.