More threads by David Baxter PhD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What looks like resistance is often a lack of clarity.
What looks like laziness is often exhaustion.
What looks like a people problem is often a situation problem.

~ from Switch by Chip and Dan Heath

“We can continue to...spend all of our resources looking at just the dirty spots and trying to make them clean. Or we can lift our eyes up and look into the skies.” ~ Buzz Aldrin

“What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“You see everything is about belief, whatever we believe rules our existence, rules our life.” ~ Don Miguel Ruiz

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them -- every day begin the task anew." ~ Saint Francis de Sales

“Amidst the worldly comings and goings, observe how endings become beginnings.” ~ Tao Te Ching

“The best way to predict your future is to create it.” ~ Abraham Lincoln

“It’s not the size of the step that gets you there. It’s the fact that you’re taking the step.” ~ Mark Victor Hansen

“There is little success where there is little laughter.” ~ Andrew Carnegie

“When you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” ~ Goethe

“Always do what you are afraid to do.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Most fears cannot withstand the test of careful scrutiny and analysis. When we expose our fears to the light of thoughtful examination, they usually just evaporate.” ~ Jack Canfield

“He who fears to suffer suffers from fear.” ~ proverb

“Contemplation often makes life miserable. We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live.” ~ Chamfort (French playwright, 1741-1794)

“Pleasure may come from illusion, but happiness can come only of reality.” ~ Chamfort

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it." ~ John Riskin

"You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures." ~ Charles C. Noble

“You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself.” ~ Alan Alda

"There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction." ~ John. F. Kennedy

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." ~ Helen Keller

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Alice came to the fork in the road.

“Which road do I take?” she asked.

“Where do you want to go?” responded the Cheshire cat.

“I don’t know,” Alice answered.

“Then,” said the cat, “it doesn't matter.”

~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."

~ Edward Everett Hale

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"It is only too easy to compel a sensitive human being to feel guilty about anything." ~ Morton Irving Seiden

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back." ~ Chinese proverb

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"I didn't want to get well, because if I got well, nobody would come and save me anymore. And I didn't want to get well, because while I could not control my happiness, I could control my misery, and I would rather have had control than live in the tension of what if." ~ Donald Miller in A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Quotes from Sir Winston Churchill

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."

"Eating words has never given me indigestion."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Quotes by the French novelist Colette:

You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.

Hope costs nothing.

Absence of humor renders life impossible.

The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.

We only do well the things we like doing.

I love my past. I love my present. I'm not ashamed of what I've had, and I'm not sad because I have it no longer.

It is wise to apply the oil of refined politeness to the mechanisms of friendship.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Years ago, Colette used to have a decent French restaurant in Kemptville. Unfortunately, it couldn't compete with McDonald's, the chip wagons, and the all-day breakfast places and folded.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom” ~ Anaïs Nin

From a blog post (Goals, values, motivation) referenced by Dr. Baxter:

“There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.” (Peter Drucker, 1909-2005, Austrian born US management guru, writer and seminal business thinker.)

“Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they’re yours.” (Richard Bach, b.1936, American writer and pilot, from his 1977 book, Illusions.)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"You know, Hitler wanted to be an artist...Ever see one of his paintings? Neither have I. Resistance beat him. Call it overstatement, but I’ll say it anyway: it was easier for Hitler to start World War II than it was for him to face a blank square of canvas." ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
“Do not fail to do what ought to be done, and do not do what ought not to be done. Otherwise your burden of suffering will grow heavier.” ~ Dhammapada, Buddha

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Memories are interpreted like dreams." ~ Leo Longanesi, journalist and editor (1905-1957)

"You can't be yourself by yourself." ~ social psychologist Hazel Markus

Status
Not open for further replies.