More threads by David Baxter PhD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
re: Quotable Quotes Part 6

Yeah, that's partly why I like DBT since they borrow that thinking.

Incidentally:

Rogers was also one of the first therapists to use the term “client” rather than “patient”.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/client-centered-therapy/25555-6-amazing-things-carl-rogers-gave-us.html

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need.
—Mick Jagger

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
—Mother Teresa

You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.
—ZIGGY

It takes a tremendous amount of emotional and physical energy to hold down your feelings. Living becomes a struggle to stay in control.
—John Gray

I asked Berlin to explain. He said ‘Well, first stop trying to be the doctor. You’ve always operated on a cognitive level. We want you to respond on an affective realm and begin to deal with your feelings.‘ I told him I wasn’t sure what he was talking about. ‘That’s part of your problem,’ he replied . . . You’re always trying to maintain control. You need to release, let loose . . . Stop intellectualizing. Just let go.’
—Richard Berendzen

GDPR

GDPR

You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present. ~Jan Glidewell

Andy

MVP

~Pay no attention to those who talk behind your back, it only means that you're two steps ahead of them.

~Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind.

~Live in presence—no judging, or evaluating—just be.

"Out beyond the ideas of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field; I'll meet you there." (Rumi)

~Believing that you're beautiful is the first step to understanding your worth as a woman.

~Pain makes you stronger. Tears makes you braver. Heartbreak makes you wiser. So thank the past for a better future.

When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better.

Andy

MVP

When asked what surprised him most about humanity, the Dalai Lama answered "Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." ~ Marilyn Monroe

Andy

MVP

Someone once said, "There comes a time in your life when you walk away from all the drama and the people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people that treat you right and pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of life and getting back up is living.

desiderata

Don't worry about failure. Worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try...
Willie Jolley

GDPR

GDPR

The past is our definition. We may strive, with good reason, to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will only escape it by adding something better to it. ~Wendell Berry

desiderata

There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.
Booker T. Washington

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss

"The most important thing I learned was that psychology was half-baked, literally half-baked...The other side's unbaked, the side of strength, the side of what we're good at." ~ Martin Seligman, 1999

"You do not have to want to stop your current behavior in order to change; you simply have to want something else more." ~ Aldo Pucci

"Feeling better does not equal getting better." ~ Albert Ellis

"Words are our most precious natural resource." ~ James Lipton

desiderata

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Downward spiral or upward spiral,
as I see it, that's your choice.

~ Barbara Fredrickson

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. ~ unknown

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Some quotes from the book Changepower!:

“To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.”
~William James

The beginnings and endings of all human undertakings are untidy.
~John Galsworthy

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.
~Andy Warhol

Hope doesn't come from calculating whether the good news is winning out over the bad. It's simply a choice to take action.
~Anna Lappe

“We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.”
~Kenji Miyazawa

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
~John Milton

Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.
~Mark Twain

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
~Thomas Edison

“The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Some of the more general quotes from Resurrection After Rape:

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." — Helen Keller

"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace." — Amelia Earhart

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there." — Edwin Louis Cole

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat." — F. Scott Fitzgerald

"I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence, but it comes from within. It is there all the time." — Anna Freud

"Energy is wasted when you try to influence people who have already decided they're not going to be happy or nice. Let them be as they are and spend energy on the people that love and accept you, where you are, and as you are. Beware...you will attract more of the kind of people you focus your energy and attention on." ~ Lisa Schilling

jerk whisperer.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin

“The only person who truly welcomes lots of changes is a baby with a full diaper.” ~ unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.