More threads by David Baxter PhD

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Half a second of additional reaction time could have prevented 60% of rear-end crashes.

— National Transportation Safety Board

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How could they see anything but the shadows if they were never allowed to move their heads?

— Plato, The Allegory of the Cave

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not...the thinker.
...There is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought."

~ Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Mindfulness is linked to reduction of self-rumination (i.e. maladaptive self-focused attention to one's self-worth) through promotion of concrete focus and inhibition of automatic elaboration of intrusive thoughts. Moreover, mindfulness also promotes low-level construal thinking (i.e. concrete thinking) which competes against high-level construal thinking (i.e. abstract thinking).

~ Mabel Yu

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Anxiety happens when you think you have to figure out everything all at once. Breathe. You’re strong. You got this. Take it day by day.”

~ Karen Salmansohn

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
We make our own gravity to give weight to things
Then things fall and they break and gravity sings
We can only hold so much is what I figure
Try and keep our eye on the big picture
Picture keeps getting bigger

- Ani DiFranco, "Hour Follows Hour"

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The first principle [of science] is that you must not fool yourself―and you are the easiest person to fool."

― Richard Feynman

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"You cannot separate the good from the bad. And perhaps there is no need to do so, either."

― Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"If you aren't in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret."

~ Jim Carrey

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Meditation or mindfulness practice is considered one effective strategy for dealing with the negative effects of critical thoughts."

~ Wikipedia

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“What day is it?” asked Pooh.
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh.”

― A.A. Milne

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“When we accept and embrace our emotions as the way they are rather than what we wish them to be and discover that in the deepest darkest moments, we are okay - this is the true emotional healing. Emotional healing is when you face your worst fears only to realize you are okay. You have no control over what life throws at you, but you have control of how to relate to whatever comes your way.”

― Susan Wenzel

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.