More threads by David Baxter PhD

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Words are like nets -- we hope they'll cover what we mean, but we know they can't possibly hold that much joy, or grief, or wonder.”

― Jodi Picoult, Change of Heart

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Accepting death doesn't mean you won't be devastated when someone you love dies. It means you will be able to focus on your grief, unburdened by bigger existential questions like, "Why do people die?" and "Why is this happening to me?" Death isn't happening to you. Death is happening to us all.

― Caitlin Doughty, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts.”

– Janice Maeditere

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Do not take anything for granted—not one smile or one person or one rainbow or one breath, or one night in your cozy bed.”

~ Terri Guillemets

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"We should not give up on our worthwhile goals. Their achievement matters. But we should meditate, too, on the value of the process. It is no accident that the young and the old are generally more satisfied with life than those in middle age. Young adults have not embarked on life-defining projects; the aged have such accomplishments behind them. That makes it more natural for them to live in the present."

~ Kieran Setiya, How Schopenhauer's thought can illuminate a midlife crisis

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"I come to my solitary woodland walk as the homesick go home… It is as if I always met in those places some grand, serene, immortal, infinitely encouraging, though invisible, companion, and walked with him."

~ Thoreau, diary entry in January 1857

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time -- like to have a friend takes time."

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A belligerent samurai, an old Japanese tale goes, once challenged a Zen master to explain the concept of heaven and hell. The monk replied with scorn, "You're nothing but a lout -- I can't waste my time with the likes of you!"

His very honor attacked, the samurai flew into a rage and, pulling his sword from its scabbard, yelled "I could kill you for your impertinence."

"That," the monk calmly replied, "is hell."

Startled at seeing the truth in what the master pointed out about the fury that had him in its grip, the samurai calmed down, sheathed his sword, and bowed, thanking the monk for the insight.

"And that,"said the monk "is heaven."

The sudden awakening of the samurai to his own agitated state illustrates the crucial difference between being caught up in a feeling and becoming aware that you are being swept away by it. Socrates's injunction "Know thyself" speaks to the keystone of emotional intelligence: awareness of one's own feelings as they occur."

― Daniel Goleman, Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Screenshot_2020-02-05 Real Happiness at Work Meditations for Accomplishment, Achievement, and Pe.png

"Feeling good about what we do for a living depends more on our moment-to-moment experiences than it does on prestige, status, or pay. Being present is its own reward and offers benefits of both empowerment and integration."

~ Sharon Salzberg's Real Happiness at Work

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“We chase extraordinary moments instead of being grateful for ordinary moments until hard **** happens. And then in the face of really hard stuff — illness, death, loss — the only thing we’re begging for is a normal moment.”

—Brené Brown

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Sometimes, feelings of sadness and grief, once the distortions have been eliminated, are are the experiences that can wake us up, and provide the profound sense of meaning we are craving in our lives. The highest human experience, perhaps, is the compassion we sometimes feel for ourselves and others who are suffering. In fact, this may be the true meaning of spirituality."

~ David Burns

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.