More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Rather than attempting to eliminate uncertainty, CTC [chaos theory of careers] interventions reframe uncertainty as a potential source of opportunities and emphasize openness, flexibility, and readiness to take advantage of unplanned events that often surround career decision making."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Focus on your accomplishments, not your never-ending to-do list.​

Don't allow your pending work tasks to submerge you in stress.

"The more you focus on what has happened successfully during the course of your day, the faster it will go by, because you're less overwhelmed by the next thing on the list and enjoying a sense of accomplishment instead," Crawford says.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's always been my way of managing my to-do list.

Start at the top. List all items in terms of urgency / priority / deadline.
  1. Is there anything I can do right now with this item to move it forward or resolve it?
  2. If Yes, do it — and while I'm doing it, focus on this item alone and leave everything else for later.
  3. If No, go to the next item on the list and repeat until I get a Yes.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I’m an anthropologist, and I can tell you there are plenty of societies where people work three or four hours a day. Most peasant societies worked that. You’d work 12 hours a day during harvest time and in the off-season you’d work two or three hours. The average medieval serf worked way less than we do, and the same is true of tribal societies around the world.

We imagine that if we take people’s work away, they’ll just sit around, drink beer, watch TV, and be depressed all day. But we just don’t have any experience of having time, but societies that do come up with all sorts of things to do.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Trauma, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Self-Care, and Love

Moral distress • The feeing that a nurse knows the right thing to do but is unable to do so because of institutional constraints.

20-30% of adult critical care nurses surveyed had PTSD symptoms related to their work. (3.5 prevalence, 6.8% lifetime rate)

• Stressors most commonly linked to PTSD symptoms were not end of life issues or witnessing violent trauma, but were related to work conditions such as feeling overextended, fear of adverse events due to their care, poor team interactions, direct threats such as combative patients and verbal abuse from family members.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Humans don’t mind hardship, in fact they thrive on it; what they mind is not feeling necessary. Modern society has perfected the art of making people not feel necessary."

— Sebastian Junger

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Research overwhelmingly suggests that people who have friends at work are more likely to like their job. While many individuals simply view their job as a means to pay the bills, it behooves every employee to conceptualize their job from an additional perspective: a social bank account. According to a major survey (Workforce, 2014), employees who report having many friends at work feel significantly more connected to their companies and are almost three times more likely to report that they love working there.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Having a family member caring for the children is a huge relief for many working parents. And when they figure the amount of money spent on day care, working alternative shifts begins to make sense."

~ Dr. Mark Nagy

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

If the company culture is not in alignment with your own beliefs and values, you may be fighting an uphill battle to fit in and may consider whether it’s time to move on...Not fitting in is definitely a good-enough reason to move on.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Success is the sum of small efforts -- repeated day in and day out."

~ Robert Collier

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.