More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Distance helps decant what matters from painful but unimportant issues." ~ Gustavo Razzetti

“The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team.”
 — Phil Jackson

“Train like you are the worst player, play like you are the best player.”
― Amit Kalantri

“People need to feel safe to be who they are — to speak up when they have an idea, or to speak out when they feel something isn’t right.” ― Eunice Parisi-Carew

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"As important as creativity, getting outdoors, spending time with loved ones and other go-to self-care methods may be, it is the intentionality behind them that is key."

"Finding balance is a lifelong pursuit."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 2.05.40 PM.jpg
I’ve been trying to find the balance: making room for my work and goals while still acknowledging that I’m human and that medication is not a silver bullet. Bad days still happen and when they do, even with medication, I’m not able to be as productive as I hoped. I try to see those bad days, not as “bad,” but as a sign that I need to rest. I haven’t fully convinced myself of that yet, but I’m working on it.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

An expert is first and foremost one who continues to learn – and this seems to apply as much to psychotherapists as it does to other professions.

"All true helping begins with a humbling." ~ Søren Kierkegaard

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"My guess is that the indignities imposed on so many low-wage workers — the drug tests, the constant surveillance, being 'reamed out' by managers — are part of what keeps wages low. If you're made to feel unworthy enough, you may come to think that what you're paid is what you are actually worth."

“We can hardly pride ourselves on being the world’s preeminent democracy, after all, if the large numbers of citizens spend half their waking hours in what amounts, in plain terms, to a dictatorship.”

― Barbara Ehrenreich, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
^^^ A good example is the inside workers at the Canada Post Office, who do their jobs with supervisors patrolling a cat walk above their stations just waiting for them to do something "suspicious" so they can drag workers off to an inner office to interrogate them about whatever they think they did. It's like a prison mentality, or a work camp. Distrust is high on both sides, station workers and supervisors. A terrible working environment.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Harassment, rather than relating exclusively to verbal abuse or violence, is “about not having enough time to do what you’re supposed to do, being asked to do contradictory tasks, having no control of the workload, having very, very high demands.”

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"It is best to resume your responsibilities gradually. Do this by starting back to work part-time or with a reduced workload. Your health care provider may recommend specific job accommodations that could be helpful in this transition, such as more frequent breaks, time off to attend medical appointments and a reduction in non-essential job duties."

~ Obsessive-compulsive disorder: An information guide :acrobat:

page43image3700502448

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

This might seem like strange advice at first, but when it comes to building reciprocity with customers and a reputation for exceptional customer service for your business, the key element is surprise.

In a Reddit thread about customer service, a user shared how their restaurant often takes the time to ask customers a little bit about themselves before serving them. They then prepare a custom dessert plate based off of the customer’s interests or anything notable about them.

When a customer recently came in wearing a Navy SEALs hat, this plate was made:

e4%2Fnavy-seal-plate.jpg?ixlib=gatsbySourceUrl-2.0.jpg

The customer was so happy about it that he wrote the restaurant a letter.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

When the nostrils quiver and the lip tightens, Dr. Hornstein said, all is not lost. Ignore the insulting tone of a boss's attack, he said, and respond only to the substance of the complaint. If it is a deadline problem, address that. For an attack on a particular skill, discuss ways to improve.

"Stick with the substance, not the process,'' he said, "and often it won't escalate."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"I believe that life is hard. That we all are going to walk through things that are hard and challenging, and yet advertising wants us to believe that it's all easy."

~ Jamie Lee Curtis

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"The important thing is being who you truly are. That you really accept yourself for who you are, and live your life accordingly in a full and meaningful way."

~ Edward Deci, PhD

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.