More threads by forgetmenot

I don't know where to put this really. Last time i went to dentist it did not go well lets say for the dentist.
I ended up somehow blacking out and um i injured dentist had by biting his hand. I have not gone back since . Too embarrassed really and to anxious that i might do this again. I need to go back my teeth are aching so much now.
I did call make an appt for tomorrow now i am wishing i did not do this. what if it happens again omg what if i space out again and do this never did this before i don't think i have always been able to keep present trying hard to think of ways i can stay present and not do this again.

Maybe try keeping eyes open this time maybe talking more but i tend to shut down i don't know I need the teeth fixed though uggg .
I know i need to breath slow breaths not get too anxious but hard when you know dentist will be anxious after what happened.
Perhaps it won't happen again perhaps i can keep me in control this time. Sorry just worried that all I don't want to harm anyone again i don't want to be triggered again . I could sense dentist anger afterwards don't blame him for being angry just don't know what to do.

I really don't want to change dentist yet again been through so many trying not to let anxiety from stopping me from getting care i need but so hard i feel i can go back and not have it happen again but what if it does.

Retired

Dentists understand that some of their patients experience anxiety over dental procedures and should be able to offer options.

One of the common options in dental practice for mild sedation is nitrous oxide

Nitrous oxide is a safe and effective sedative agent that is mixed with oxygen and inhaled through a small mask that fits over your nose to help you relax.

Nitrous oxide, sometimes called “laughing gas,” is one option your dentist may offer to help make you more comfortable during certain procedures. It is not intended to put you to sleep. You will be able to hear and respond to any requests or directions the dentist may have. Your dentist will ask you to breathe normally through your nose, and within a few short minutes you should start to feel the effects of the nitrous oxide. You may feel light-headed or a tingling in your arms and legs. Some people say their arms and legs feel heavy. Ultimately, you should feel calm and comfortable. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off soon after the mask is removed.

Talk to your dentist about whether nitrous oxide would be a good option for you. Source

Personally, when a complex dental procedure is required, I always ask for nitrous oxide.

Thanks Steve i tried this once long ago and um i do not want to use it again. I got really paranoid on it just scared me more that i had less control but thanks i will try talk to dentist abt my concerns just hope i don't back out of going.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I know i need to breath slow breaths not get too anxious but hard when you know dentist will be anxious after what happened

A dental hygienist gave me this advice once, which only has helped: "Wiggle your toes and breathe through your nose." :lol:

I still do it sometimes during cleanings :)

GaryQ

MVP
I ended up somehow blacking out and um i injured dentist had by biting his hand

Hey FMN, Sorry to hear you have anxiety issues at the dentists (I don't think I ever known anyone that didn't). But think of it this way... PAYBACK! How many times has a dentist caused extra pain to a patient? Do they feel bad when causing "little accidents" and pain? So why should you beat yourself up about it?

I'm sorry but I actually find it quite funny that on top of passing out you bit his hand :D
I know it's not funny for you. Do you have any medication for your anxiety that you could take prior to going?

Retired

As one who had anxiety when requiring dental procedures due to the incompetence of a dentist when I was a child, that took years to overcome, I found that communication with the dentist and his assistants is the best way to lessen concerns about the procedure causing unexpected discomfort.

I explain to the dentist beforehand that I have anxiety about unexpected discomfort, and arrange a signal with the dentist to alert her/ him when I feel something uncomfortable. A signal could be a hand signal, for example.

When the practitioner is aware of a patient's concerns, I found that they usually alert you to expect a sensation before it occurs, such as a pin prick or a vibration.

Knowing what's about to happen lessens the anxiety, I have found.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As one who had anxiety when requiring dental procedures due to the incompetence of a dentist when I was a child, that took years to overcome, I found that communication with the dentist and his assistants is the best way to lessen concerns about the procedure causing unexpected discomfort.

I explain to the dentist beforehand that I have anxiety about unexpected discomfort, and arrange a signal with the dentist to alert her/ him when I feel something uncomfortable. A signal could be a hand signal, for example.

When the practitioner is aware of a person's concerns, I found that they usually alert you to expect a sensation before it occurs, such as a pin prick or a vibration.

Knowing what's about to happen lessens the anxiety, I have found.

I do the same. As a boy in Montreal, our dentist was a rough, mean butcher who caused us all a lot of pain any time we had to go. As an adult, I avoid dentists as much as possible. Like you, when I go, I tell the dentist or remind her now that I'm afraid of dentists and that I don't tolerate pain well.

As a result, she is extra careful about telling me exactly what she's about to do and making sure I am "frozen". She rubs something on my gums even before the injection, and then does the injections in stages to minimize the discomfort.

Yes i had some mean dentist in my time ya uggg went kept focus on picture ahead of me it seemed to help keep me focus i where i was.

Dentist just did an examination xrays today found the problems.

Guess i grind my teeth i am not aware i do it but have three teeth to fix but first have to go in for cleaning them that will be done in two days.

Then go back and on the 27th to fix all the teeth then.

It is better to get everything done at once because it takes me so long to go back afterwards.

I did good did not cry just found it hard to talk right that all. Hopefully i can get back in on the next appts now.

This dentist is gentle one i guess that is why i was upset i harmed him uggg

The worse thing for me is feeling trapped cornered and yes the pain is not good either just hope when these teeth are fixed then i don't have to go back for awhile.

So hard omg feeling trapped dam now tears come but that is ok i am ok now. I am home now trying to breath now let all the anxiety go now right now.

GaryQ

MVP
Glad you found the strength and determination to get it taken care of. Step one is already done and over with :)

Date been changed to tomorrow teeth are in bad condition found another problem so have to be there tomorrow 8 am. Better i guess early am as i won't have all day to fight the anxiety ugggg hopefully all will be done tomorrow.

GaryQ

MVP
Was wondering how it went today at the dentist FMN.
Did he get it all fixed or do you have to go back again?

Hi GaryQ thanks for asking. Dentist worked on all 4 teeth it took hour and half but i was very jumpy he went slow talked to me when i was zoning out .
My teeth are still very very sensitive and sore dam i hope they settle down some after all the work that was done.

I am glad i do not have to go back i got very very bad pain in my arm i always do when i am anxious

No i did not harm anyone this time they knew to go slow and made sure i heard what was being said. He is a good dentist.

Just wish the pain would lessen in the teeth now it should after all the work done Just have to continue to use sensitive toothpaste and mouth wash with them. I did good kept me present now i hope that is that and no more returns now.

GaryQ

MVP
Thanks for the update FMN. Glad it went well (considering you were at the dentists)
The discomfort should go away in a couple days and maybe simply once your anxiety has subsided.
We told you it would be over before you knew it ;)

I'm more preoccupied about you stating that you have pain in your arm when you are anxious... If it is your left arm and if you haven't already, I would strongly recommend mentioning this to your doctor ASAP. Anxiety and Stress can cause angina which is a precursor sign to a potential heart attack. Even if you don't have any chest pain it's still best to be safe and speak to your doctor about it.

Ya most time pain goes down the right arm and stays for a few hours sometimes longer Only has it gone to the left arm once.

I am ok now no more pain in my arm teeth well it will take time to settle down Yes

i am glad it is over because it was very very stressful even though i was able not to show it much just jumpy

One tooth i think is beyond repair really he tried though so i will just keep using enamel toothpaste and sensitive paste as well hoping it will heal crack.

No more dentist now for me not for awhile anyways thanks for talking to me though and getting me through it everyone.

There are some Dentists that can give you a sedative before you go and also some can put you to sleep while getting your teeth fixed, so ask your Dentist before you go!

GaryQ

MVP
FMN,
How are you feeling now? Has the pain started to subside?
Hope you are feeling better now that the teeth have been fixed

The one tooth is not better it is very sensitive still to heat or cold I really don't want to go back in

i will give it awhile yet just been keeping oragel on it and sensitive mouthwash and toothpaste
Tonight i had to take a pain pill hate doing that but it was necessary. Hate taking meds

Hopefully in a few weeks time the tooth will be better i don't know how though because it is still cracked
Dentist just polished it i think his words were to get rid of the rough edges.
Also pro enamel toothpaste i hope helps to heal the crack in the tooth.
The rest of the teeth seem better that is good i guess 3 out of four is not bad so i am in less pain then i was before going in.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.