More threads by forgetmenot

GaryQ

MVP
Was thinking of my few friends who are there for me in my times of need and who I hope can lean on me when they need someone there for them and this song came to mind.

Some old songs never fade away.

I've learned, through personal experience over the years that true friendship is one of the few things where distance and time are totally meaningless. Time eases the weight of the grief caused from losing a true friend, for we are not eternal, but it can never displace them from that special place in our heart.

Was thinking of my few friends who are there for me in my times of need and who I hope can lean on me when they need someone there for them and this song came to mind.

Some old songs never fade away.

I've learned, through personal experience over the years that true friendship is one of the few things where distance and time are totally meaningless. Time eases the weight of the grief caused from losing a true friend, for we are not eternal, but it can never displace them from that special place in our heart.

Still here for you when you need us

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Martika - Toy Soldiers - Lyrics Meaning

Martika has stated in interviews that the song was written about a friend's drug addiction...

The repeated background choir vocal of "Won't you come out and play with me" is a way of capturing how the drug (in this case cocaine) calls itself out to the addict. This is the same sentiment of another line from the song that speaks of hearing temptation call.

In many ways, the general theme of toy soldiers can represent a person's lack of control when it comes to addiction. Toy soldiers are controlled, powerless, and incapable of thinking for themselves. The same can be said for an addict. The lines of "we all fall down like toy soldiers" and "the battle wages on for toy soldiers" suggest that someone has clearly lost all semblance of control, have fallen, and must pick themselves back up and carry on.

Martika later sings that "if she doesn't stop, the next one's gonna be me" which seems to be an acknowledgment from the addict's perspective that they've got a problem that can conceivably kill them or ruin life as they know it. In the music video, Martika's romantic interest is seen drowning in a pool, presumably a symbol for dying from a drug overdose.

VH1's Pop Up Video revealed that the subject of "Toy Soldiers" did survive and ultimately overcame their addiction.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Steve Tibbetts (along with Jim Price, Marc Anderson and others) in 1982:

My Last Chance - YouTube

Jim Price asked me to write and perform a song for "Night-times Variety," a show on the local PBS affiliate.

Someone had the idea of hitting a gong and lower it into a tub of water to finish the tune. Lowering a gong into water lowers the pitch about a whole step. Very cool.

Except we didn't have a clear container for the water, so it looks like Randy is just lowering a gong into a trash basket. The audience applauds, but looks puzzled. ("Why are they lowering a gong into a white trash can?")

Please note both guitar players parted their hair in the middle.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Please note both guitar players parted their hair in the middle.
In 1982, that was mandatory for guitarists. That's so you could tell they were serious musicians. :coffee:

Also true for singers in some bands and miscellaneous other band members, but the rules were enforced as strictly as for guitarists.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.