More threads by forgetmenot

GaryQ

MVP
Anne Murray. Wow makes me feel old. Not one of my favorite voices but she has always been an icon.

I think the greatest voice we've ever grown was the little flower from Quebec. A truly humble simple warm hearted gentle soul that never let her fame go to her head. The proof is that she loved to sing and make others shine. No matter who it was they were all some of her greatest performances. The control, the range and the dynamics, the harmonics and the pure power of her voice alone are breathtaking but when she sings with someone you see the love of singing and not the paid performer.

When she popped up to surprise the Canadian Tenors

Celine Dion The Canadian Tenors - Hallelujah - YouTube

And the great performance of both her and Bocelli

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My current favorite new indie band, Stands on Sapphire, based on a verse in Exodus.

The band has a neat story. They are out of Vancouver, British Columbia, currently although the singer, Bethany, is originally from Oregon. She and the guitarist, Trevor, are married.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yeah, and I actually liked the music more without the more-eerie video.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The chording is just the same. It's just tuning the double strings that changes.

From memory (and I haven't has a 12-string since the 70s), standard 12-string tuning is still EADGBE. For the 4 lower strings, each pair is tuned with the second string in the pair one octave higher. For the two highest strings (B and E) they are tuned in unison — that's often the hardest part because even if one string in the pair is slightly off you'll hear it very clearly.

Omce it's tuned, you play it just like a 6-string but it does take a bit more hand strength and the keyboard is wider.

I eventually traded in the 12-string and a 6-string on a better quality 6-string (which is still in play and sounds wonderful — I gave it to one of my sons when I got an electric).

Ah ok, the tuning does sound quite tricky.

I reckon my picking hand would just get fingers caught between the strings or do something stupid.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Ah ok, the tuning does sound quite tricky.

I reckon my picking hand would just get fingers caught between the strings or do something stupid.
Probably not. The pairs of strings are not that far apart and within a pair they are too close together to get your fingers stuck. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.