More threads by rdw

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I heard about the new Harper Lee book too! I was about to say "Wow, now that is one long-awaited sequel!" But then I just googled and found out that wasn't quite what it was, after the fact?

I am FIIINNNAAALLLYYY reading 1984 by George Orwell. Wow, amazing. I still have never read Brave New World either. I'm trying to go through a bunch of classic things, so that when some article or news or blog references a known literary or cultural concept, I'm not like "Argh!! Avoid! Avoid!! Spoiler Alert for those of us who have not read or studied some of these things!!!" Heheheh. I must say I'm extremely anti-spoiler though, I just love when something I experience is "absolutely, utterly new and totally unknown", rather than having some idea of what to expect. I even avoided seeing the trailer for the new Star Wars movie for ages, until someone promised that it tells you pretty much absolutely zero about what it will be about. :)

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Yes, something like that. The gist I got was that in some instances it got marketed as a sequel or prequel a bit, and what it was was not that exactly, and some people were quite disappointed about how that had been done.

I only skimmed, so I don't know if it was really truly 'marketed' that way by the publisher, or if really it was just hyped that way by bloggers and sites wanting to make links and titles clickable and not-necessarily-perfectly-honest-and-accurate.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Archaeology, history, comparitive religion and ancient texts stuff - Mesopotamia and the Levant, Egypt, Greece, all those hip cats.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Finally reading The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Really really good. Great if you ever want to help a young person to understand certain things about not absorbing unhealthy messages and stuff.

Also great just for reminders... a soothing, peaceful sensation comes with certain reminders or awarenesses.

GDPR

GDPR
Currently reading 'Maude' by Donna Foley Mabry
(I have forgotten how to add a link)

Such a good book.I can't seem to put it down.It's so fascinating to read the hardships of this woman and what it was like living in the early 1900's.It sure makes me feel grateful for my own life.

(I stopped reading self help books a while ago and have found that I really enjoy biographies,autobiographies and memoirs)

---------- Post Merged at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Thanks to whoever added the link for me.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I absolutely love life stories, memoirs etc too. Humans hearing each other's stories seems to be such a helpful, important, and also fascinating thing.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.