More threads by GDPR

GDPR

GDPR
It's my understanding that marijuana isn't physically addictive.... which leads me to the question of why can't I stop smoking it?

I started smoking again last October, when things were very stressful, and I have only gone probably 3 or 4 days without since then. I tell myself every day that I'm going to quit, but then I give in and tell myself I will quit tomorrow. But 'tomorrow' has turned into 10 months later and still doing the same thing.

When I wake up in the morning, it's the first thing I think about. When I clock out at work, it's what I think about on the drive home. It's actually what I constantly think about. Some days I wake up and start smoking, and smoke all day long. Some days I just smoke in the evenings until I go to bed. Sometimes I decide to just catch a small buzz and then stop, which most always turns into smoking more and more.

I'm getting frustrated because I'm not doing all the things I need/want to do because I am too wasted all the time. I have become isolated from family and friends and basically have no social life because I stay home and get stoned. I don't really do anything else. It is really getting out of control.

Weed is way different than it used to be. It's way stronger, and only takes a few hits to be wasted. I'm wondering if that is why it's so hard to stop this time. I have been able to stop with no problems in the past, so I don't understand why it's so hard this time.

Why can't I stop?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You have a marijuana dependency. That is an addiction whether or not it is physically addictive.

Some people are able to break dependencies cold turkey based solely on will power. Others need assistance. If you are using weed to relax you, reduce stress or anxiety, alleviate distress of some kind, etc., it may be that part of the problem is facing your symptoms without the assistance of weed. If so, you may need to talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for some medication to help you with those symptoms which in turn might make it easier for you to quit.

Or you may need the support of an addictions counsellor or support group...

It has become a coping skill for you to use it one that you are comfortable with.
You need to replace it with a more healthy one okay
Like stated call your doctor get on some medication or get some councilling to help you kick this happen once and for all
We always tend to go the easier route when we are upset yours is to the weed it will take some work but you can replace it with something better okay hugs

GDPR

GDPR
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't smoked any at all today. I just got home from work, and I can feel the anxiety building already. I know that I smoke because it relaxes me and just makes life a little easier to cope with. I'm going to try my hardest to not smoke the rest of the day and see what happens, and see if I really can stop by sheer willpower before consulting my doctor.

I was a little surprised to read this though....
you may need to talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for some medication to help you with those symptoms

I guess I don't understand the point of getting a prescription that most likely will be addictive itself just to get off another addictive substance. It just seems like that defeats the purpose. Isn't that just substituting one for another?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It just seems like that defeats the purpose. Isn't that just substituting one for another?

I don't know about meds for quitting marijuana but using anti-anxiety, antidepressant, or other psychiatric medications to treat any underlying symptoms (like anxiety) would certainly be a good alternative to self-medicating with marijuana.

Also, Wellbutrin/Zyban (buproprion) is an antidepressant that is sometimes prescribed when people are trying to quit smoking cigarettes. Like all other antidepressant medications, buproprion is not addictive:

Bupropion SR (Zyban)
Bupropion is a prescription medication classified as a type of antidepressant. A sustained-release (SR) form of bupropion is approved for smoking cessation. Unlike nicotine replacement therapy, bupropion SR doesn't contain nicotine. It's thought to decrease tobacco cravings and withdrawal symptoms by increasing the levels of certain brain chemicals.

Pros
Bupropion SR is a pill, so it's relatively easy to use. It isn't considered addictive.

Cons
Bupropion SR is available only by prescription, including the brand name Zyban. Because it takes five to seven days to be effective, you typically must start taking bupropion SR a week or two before you quit smoking. Side effects may include insomnia, agitation, headache and dry mouth. Rarely, a severe allergic reaction or seizure can occur. Also, you must remember to take the pill every day.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/addictiv...s-boost-your-chance-of-quitting-for-good.html

OTOH, buproprion is one of the more stimulating antidepressants and so can increase anxiety in some people.

GDPR

GDPR
I'm going to try my hardest to not smoke the rest of the day

Maybe I should have written myself reminders and put them all over the house in plain sight. I have already caved in, but I can see where I went wrong.....it's in the way I think. I was thinking about everything I need to get done tonight before I go to bed because I have to be to work extremely early in the morning. I didn't want to get started on them, and started thinking about how if I smoke just a 'little' it will give me the energy and focus to get everything done, and if I do it fast, I will even have spare time to just chill.

Instead of thinking that I can get everything done without catching a buzz first, I automatically made the decision without even trying first.

Maybe I should consider starting some sort of medication for a bit.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Instead of thinking that I can get everything done without catching a buzz first, I automatically made the decision without even trying first.

And, of course, you still had the substance in your possession.

GDPR

GDPR
Because I have heard that it's always much easier to do without something If you have it around.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How has that been working out for you?

BTW:

The fact that you can go to almost any city in the country and find a McDonald's within five minutes of driving contributes to the likelihood of compulsive eating. Similarly, recent epidemics of addiction to cocaine and heroin have accompanied increased availability and affordability of these drugs.

Part of the reason that convenience sways us so much is that we have a limited amount of impulse control. Some of us are better at resisting temptation, while some are more likely to give in. Dopamine activity in your nucleus accumbens, the brain's reward center, can disrupt your brain's decision making ability by interfering with your prefrontal cortex, the brain's impulse control region.

7 Things McDonald’s Knows About Your Brain

GDPR

GDPR
OK, it's Monday, a new week. I have no 'substances' in my possession and I am done with it. I am not going to smoke anymore, no matter how I feel. No excuses.

I can do this.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

I CAN do this. I have many times before in the past,I just have to really want it. I can't half-assed do it.

Willpower on its own then? and or maybe ..........you can utilise US here in the forum to assist you when it gets a bit tough.?
Do you think coming here when the urge for a "smoke" is present would help.
Or maybe you have you your own ideas on how to get through these 1st couple of days.. or even just today!. don't keep that secret to yourself ok. :) :)

GDPR

GDPR
Well, actually before I just substituted alcohol for the weed. Then I ended up drinking every day. But, for 5 years straight I was able to not do any drugs and not drink or do anything. I know I can do it again. Sheer willpower will work again.

My plan is to mostly journal my feelings out when I get the urge. Maybe coming here might be a good idea too.

I wonder has anyone else here (members) given up weed\"smoke" in the past, if there was maybe you could have a sort of buddy to support your in your efforts. :)

I guess given your time zone.. you are maybe (more or less) half way through your day, so thats good right.

I smoke (regular cigs) and at times I tell myself I am going to stop... never seem to get round to it though. :(. I guess that why I like to hear of others WHO CAN DO IT. it gives me hope that one day I too will stop.

Sometimes I think they only way would be to make all smoking illegal.. hmmm I wonder how that would go down in the general population :)

anyway... sorry letting myself wander here.

I really admire that you are doing this and going for it!. :)

GDPR

GDPR
I'm ashamed to say I am already struggling. But, I had a t session this morning, and normally the first thing I do when I get home is burn one. It just makes things easier, makes it easier to get rid of the feelings. Easier to not think about what we discuss while I'm in there.

I'm having heart palpitations and I'm feeling so much anxiety right now. My mind is telling me that it will all go away if I smoke. But, I'm resisting.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

The way I'm feeling right now is temporary, isn't it? I'm feeling this way because of my therapy session, not because I'm craving weed or anything.

I'm just used to smoking when I feel like this.

GDPR

GDPR
Thanks Daniel. The info about exercising was interesting and helpful. The other one was too, but exercising sounds like a simple solution.

boi

Lost_In_Thought
I found it incredibly difficult to quit pot. In the past I have quit cigarettes and heroin and I found weed harder. Maybe because it was a different time in my life then, or another theory I have is the widespread availability of it coupled with the cliche idea that it will not kill you, it's socially acceptable, it's like a glass of wine after work etc.... I have no moral stance on pot...but what I do know for me, it made life "better". Everything I did was "better" when I was high. Bad tv was good when high, boring things - not bored when high. This was unrealistic for me and that is why I knew I had to quit. I felt like it was a "false" life per se. I would have all these ideas and then I would get high and not want to do them. Even though, I was still productive, I was not doing all that I wanted to. I started talking to my T about it and I made a decision to stop. I could not have it anywhere in the house. If I had it, I would use it (same with sugar heheh). You can do it too. I know how hard it is. I hear plenty of people say, I could stop if I want, but they don't stop with lots of justifications. That's ok too. But it's denial. It is hard to stop and that's why they don't. It was very hard for the first week, then it got easier. I feel so much better without it. I feel like my head is clear and I don't depend on it. I don't watch a lot of bad tv anymore (heheh maybe some) but I definitely have better things to do. I have anxiety as well and pot made me extremely paranoid and it didn't help the anxiety. Through therapy I am becoming more aware and I am finding new ways to deal with my anxiety. Have you spoken to your T about smoking and wanting to quit? Your T could be a good support. You have my support :)

GDPR

GDPR
Thanks boi.

Seriously though...weed was tougher to quit than even heroin? I've never done heroin, but I have always wondered how my son was able to get off of it but hasn't been able to quit smoking weed.

What you said about life being 'better' sounds so familiar, because that's exactly how I have felt the past 10 months. Life HAS been better, everything has been better, but, it hasn't really been 'real'. No matter what has been going on, no matter how tough trauma therapy has been, everything has been made 'better' just by smoking. But then the flip side is just being so burnt out all the time, feeling so unproductive and not facing reality.

My T. knows I smoke. He has no problem with occasional use, but thinks I should go to NA or AA meetings or something for help/support. I'm definitely not going to do that, I'd be laughed at in this town with all the people going that are struggling with heroin, oxy,etc. He also wants me to try seroquel, but I'm a bit afraid to.

I haven't smoked any today either, and I just feel really depressed right now. I feel like I've lost a friend or something and I know that sounds pathetic, but it's how I feel.

Hey LIT;

don't worry so much about what other people think... (lol I'm told that all the time and I am not addicted to MJ or anything else...) I bet you if you go to an AA meeting you'll find a bunch of other people worrying about the same thing as you are... I would hope someone with an addiction wouldn't laugh at another person with an addiction, you would think there would be nothing but support. It shouldn't matter if one substance is supposedly worse than the other, what should matter is you are reaching out for a little support. I may have mentioned this already, but a lot of people with "addictive personalities" or people who mask/deal with their depression or anxiety or other truly psychological/physiological issues by using a substitute for prescribed medication/therapy/support all need the same help (in varying degrees and methods).

If you're all shades of the same colour, you'll be in good company.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.