More threads by GDPR

GDPR

GDPR
I made it through the weekend without smoking too. I've been having lots of headaches though. And I have a migraine right now.

Been feeling really down too. But, I'm sure it will just take time to adjust.

Thanks for asking

I made it through the weekend without smoking too.
Fantastic!! you will have to send me some of that will power in a few weeks okay. I have already cut down (some), thinking of quitting. hmmm :coffee:

MIgraine: I hate those, I guess it doesn't really help to be looking at computer screen when you have one. Do You have any medication or pain relief for it?

Sorry to hear you are feeling down, I hope you feel some bit better soon. :hug:
Do you still have your Therapist? if so maybe he\she can help you during this period of adjustment? .

Meantime, look after yourself and that Migraine and hang in there with the quitting .

GDPR

GDPR
I'm feeling so much better. And the only time I really get the urge to get high now is when I'm real upset.

I was around people that were smoking it yesterday, one of them even offered me some, and I didn't want to. One person is such a burn out, and that's so not how I wanna be again.

I feel proud of myself.

Hi Lost_In_Thought... 8D

Terrific to hear you've been using the ol will power! Way to go!

I suffer from migraines... Or I did until I asked my doctor about Naproxen/Anaprox (Steve from this forum told me about it). Wow, ever since I got that stuff, as soon as I think I am getting a migraine I take one and I haven't had one in about three weeks! I was getting them almost weekly for several months due to extra stress. Maybe ask your doctor, if you have frequent migraines, and be aware that it can interact with some medications and you have to eat something (like a small yogurt at least) with it because it's hard on your stomach. You might not be able to have the exact same medication but you might be able to get a similar prescription. Anything that prevents migraines is worth a shot. Also stress, lack of sleep, some foods, etc could trigger a migraine. Might be worth your while to go on a bit of a food trial or journal what you eat. Some people get migraines from MSG, chocolate, nitrates in processed meats, and that sort of thing.

Awesome that you kicked that weed habit! Nice going!

GDPR

GDPR
Not smoking weed isn't the hard part, the hard part is feeling the feelings that I have. It's like everything is magnified now and all of my emotions are out of control.

When I get mad, I'm more than just mad, I feel violent. When I feel down, it's quickly escalating to feeling suicidal. Even feeling happy seems more like euphoria now.

I'm not used to 'feeling'. I don't know how to deal with it.

I hear ya. I imagine it's the same way with a brother of mine. He has been self-medicating for years. He refuses to get any prescriptions at all, or seek therapy, because he is terrified and paranoid about someone somehow taking advantage of him and locking him up. Probably because my mom has threatened to do that to him before.

you have said its not the quitting that is the problem, its whats happening now. Stopping the act of lighting one up is only one part of the quiting
the hard part is feeling the feelings that I have. It's like everything is magnified now and all of my emotions are out of control.
and now you it would appear you have the desired effect of doing that, feeling the feelings. This too (the magnification) is part of the quitting and I think you do not have to put yourself through the agony of dealing with this without help of somekind.
Originally posted by David (post # 2 i think)
you may need to talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for some medication to help you with those symptoms which in turn might make it easier for you to quit.
. I think maybe now might be a good time to reconsider this suggestion. Medication might help with the transition??

GDPR

GDPR
I think maybe now might be a good time to reconsider this suggestion. Medication might help with the transition??

....and that's exactly the decision I made today, and plan on going to talk to the dr. 2morrow.

I was so against it before, but now that I'm not high all the time, I realize that I do need to be on something.

GDPR

GDPR
I kind of forgot that I joined this site...

Since my last post, I went the prescription drug route, and ended up going back to weed shortly after that. Compared to xanax,effexor, etc., weed is more beneficial,without any side effects.

I don't smoke as much as I used to. Now I just smoke enough to get a slight buzz, usually a couple hits off a joint is enough.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It may very well seem that way.

But eventually you will find that if you are vulerable to anxiety or depression or both (as well as some other mental healyth conditions) the symptoms will worsen over time as you continue to self-medicate with cannabis. And then you'll realize you have two problems - the opriginal anxiety (or whatever) plus a psychological dependence on or adcdiction to cannabis.

GDPR

GDPR
And then you'll realize you have two problems - the opriginal anxiety (or whatever) plus a psychological dependence on or adcdiction to cannabis.

That may be true, however, if I would have stayed on the xanax and effexor, I would have ended up with an addiction to, or psychological dependence on them also. I really don't see the difference.

Can you please explain the difference? The difference I see is weed doesn't cause withdrawals like the other 2. It makes sense to me to go the weed route.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I really don't see the difference.
What I don't understand is why people take such risks with weed -- unless, of course, they are strongly addicted to it. In Florida, possession of any weed (if one is arrested) is going to cost a lot in legal fees (if you want a good lawyer), fees for probation, and possible loss of future income from future employers doing criminal history checks. (It also puts one's friends in jeopardy of getting arrested if they are with you at the time, especially if you do not admit possession.)

if I would have stayed on the xanax and effexor, I would have ended up with an addiction to, or psychological dependence on them also.
I don't know anyone who argues that Effexor is addictive. But even if that were true (which it isn't), you could still pursue other therapies like talk therapy, behavior therapy, interpersonal therapy, etc.

GDPR

GDPR
So, your answer to my question is weed isn't legal. I agree that it's a risk, but it really does help me better than any prescription drug I've tried.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That may be true, however, if I would have stayed on the xanax and effexor, I would have ended up with an addiction to, or psychological dependence on them also. I really don't see the difference.

First, Xanax and Effexor are not "addictive" (well Xanax may be somewhat if used over the long term), although they do require tapering off should you reach a point where you want/need to discontinue them. Second, Xanax and Effexor provide benefits in the treatment of anxiety. They do not make your anxiety problem progressively worse as does cannabis.

The difference I see is weed doesn't cause withdrawals like the other 2.

That's false. It doesn't only cause withdrawal but it's a bad withdrawal, worse than nicpotine for many people who allow themselves to be sucked in by the myth that it's not addictive.

It makes sense to me to go the weed route.

I wouldn't expect an addict to say anything else. :)

What about therapy? Or growing as a person?

To channel the late Fritz Perls, self-medicating with pot may just make you more comfortable with your psychological defenses.

Anxiety is not your biggest problem, anyway. It's how you cope with it in maladaptive, short-term ways.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.