More threads by GDPR

GDPR

GDPR
I wouldn't expect an addict to say anything else. :)

Just so you know,I don't appreciate being called an addict when you know nothing about me.

And I'm assuming you're just regurgitating what you've learned, without any personal experience, as do most people. The stuff I read reminds me of the movie Reefer Madness.

Maybe others may consider it 'wrong', but I really don't give a ****. It helps me. It takes my anxiety away. It helps me function better. That's all that matters to me. I could go back down the prescription meds route again, but why should I be a guinea pig and have to suffer reactions and side affects until I'm put on the 'right' one? Weed works EVERY time. I know what to expect, I know the exact dosage, and it's almost instant relief.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
and it's almost instant relief.

So does self-injury for some people, or ruminating about suicide. People do such avoidance behaviors because they work. The problem is it doesn't help in the long term.

With a SSRI or cognitive behavior therapy, for example, the effects are long term. The relapse rate goes down even after the treatment is stopped -- even years later.

In other words, it's not like if more people went on pot like they did in the 60s, the suicide rate would go down. The suicide rate did go down with the introduction of Prozac, the first SSRI.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Just so you know,I don't appreciate being called an addict when you know nothing about me.

Uh, there was a smiley at the end and I didn't "call you an addict"... just pointing out that one of the characteristics of substance abuse is rationalization of the substance abuse.

And I'm assuming you're just regurgitating what you've learned, without any personal experience, as do most people. The stuff I read reminds me of the movie Reefer Madness.

I grew up in the 60s. We were naive about the dangers of cannabis back then so I suppose we had an excuse (i.e., ignorance).

Maybe others may consider it 'wrong', but I really don't give a ****.

This has nothing to do with morality or right or wrong. It has to do with risk to your mental health, and what helps ands what does not help.

It helps me. It takes my anxiety away. It helps me function better. That's all that matters to me.

Except that all the evidence is that it does NOT help. Quite the contrary, it makes your condition worse. If you prefer to delude yourself into believing otherwise, knock yourself out. As I said, in the 60s we had an excuse. You can't claim that today.

I could go back down the prescription meds route again, but why should I be a guinea pig and have to suffer reactions and side affects until I'm put on the 'right' one? Weed works EVERY time. I know what to expect, I know the exact dosage, and it's almost instant relief.

For now. So you'd prefer to be a scientifically misinformed guinea pig? That's your choice, of course. Let's not pretend it's a good idea for you or anyone else though.

GDPR

GDPR
Fine, let's NOT pretend.

When I started taking the other meds, especially the xanax, I knew right away those are things I don't want to be on. The feeling was too familiar for me. I knew right away where the xanax would lead me. So I stopped taking them. And I felt like I wanted that familiarity again. And that turned into a drinking binge. So in order to stay away from the alcohol, I started smoking weed again.

I'm sure it's probably not a good idea to be smoking again. But it seems like the least harmful of the things I could be doing.

So you are doing harm reduction technique then
This is something new that i was not aware of either
I was always taught abstinence was the only way abstinence but you are chosing the lesser of two evils for you
but still it is an evil yes You have to see it will cause you some harm
I think you have to do what it takes to keep you from using more harmful substances and for now perhaps that is using weed but in time this always seems to lead to other things.
Get help to be free of all your addictions okay that way you will be truly in control of you

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There is another option. Get back to your doctor and say, "Those weren't working for me. I need something else."

Effective medicine is ALWAYS collaborative medicine. If you don't tell your doctor what's NOT working, how can you expect him to help you find something that WILL work?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Eclipse said:
harm reduction

which is usually more like loss aversion -- preferring the known to the unknown, even when the unknown is likely to be better.

The opposite of which is proactive: "aspiring for a positive future rather than preventing a negative one is distinctly predictive of well-being."

GDPR

GDPR
I'm sorry. I seriously don't know what I'm saying or doing anymore. I prob. should just avoid this place and keep my thoughts and opinions to myself.

Hi i think talking about it helps hun I do understand what you are saying i do pot keeps you from using alcohol and to you this substance is safer
I think in time with some help and support from your doctor or addiction councellor you can break free of this substance too. Like stated hun Dr Baxter is right you need to keep lines of communication open with your doctor just because one medication does not work maybe a newer one will hun
I for one am glad you are talking here okay It helps not only you but others who are thinking in the same way

GDPR

GDPR
I didn't get high yesterday for the first time in a very long time. It was almost like being high since it felt so different.

I think maybe I had lost any/all reasons to not do it. I kind of gave up on everything.

But...I haven't had a drink in 6 days and now one day without weed. So, it's a start(again).

Way to go hun i do hope now you reach out to your doctor for some help to keep you on this path of healing
You should be very proud of you a start to a better way of life One day at a time right hugs

GDPR

GDPR
I am a little shocked and frustrated. I just seriously can't stop. And I don't think it's because weed is that addictive,I think it's just me.

I really try my hardest to not do it,but I keep telling myself things like "just one more time ,then I will quit". Which ,of course is keeping me caught in a cycle of giving in/feeling like crap about myself .

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.