More threads by sidony

sidony

Hi, I'm currently trying to decide whether to try group therapy or not. I was referred to group therapy because I have difficulty being close to people. At least that's what led me to individual therapy.

I did NOT seek therapy for the fact that I have social anxiety. However, I have always known that I did. And I can't really try group therapy without being forced to deal with that issue too. I don't know if I'm going to do it or not. What I want to know is -- what's it like? What would it be like for someone who is very shy in formal group situations? (That would be me and I expect many people who visit this forum!) Have any of you tried it? Would love to hear any first-hand experiences that any of you are willing to share. I can't make up my mind at all, but I imagine group therapy would be absolutely terrifying for me. :( (Individual therapy, however, is proving extremely helpful.)

Thanks, Sidony

Serenity

I have done both and both have been tremendously helpful for different reasons. In group therapy, you often get very little 'attention' actually, even if you need it because there is just so much time, and just so many people. So, if you need to do a lot of talking, it doesn't allow for that often times. That's were individual is preferable. But..having said that, group is great for slowly buidling great relationships with people who are dealing with things and feel much the same way you do about things. There is a wonderful bond and a sense of no longer being different and alone.

My two cents...

Best of luck.
:)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Having only been in group therapy in a psychiatric hospital setting (which is quite different than non-hospital setting), I would say it all depends on who is in the group. So if you are allowed to just go to a single meeting to try it out, I think you would have nothing to lose.

What would it be like for someone who is very shy in formal group situations?
Though I am a shy, introverted person, I don't think I would have problems in most group therapy sessions since they are pretty well structured by the group therapist/leader. (Irving Yalom is the guru of group therapy who has written textbooks on the subject.) It's not like a bunch of people are forced into a room to share their thoughts and feelings in some chaotic, random way.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.