More threads by ejh7070

ejh7070

Well the 3 above is out since the roads here are very bad people drive crazy here. When I walked to town the one time I almost got hit like 3 times so none of those would work.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
stepdad uses his leaves in the morning before I wake up.

Does he go someplace where you could possibly, eventually get a job in the area? Even a volunteer job can help one's resume.

Banned

Banned
Have you had someone help you polish your resume? I don't know about your background or experience but as an employer, the little things can make a big difference as to whether you get an interview or not. If you haven't had any call-backs, perhaps check with someone (many towns have employment assistance offices) to see if there's anything you can do differently to increase your odds in a tough job market.

Another thing you can do is follow up with the companies where you dropped off your resume. Confirm the right person received it and don't be afraid to be blunt in asking for an interview. You'd be amazed at what those little gestures can do.

ejh7070

Have you had someone help you polish your resume? I don't know about your background or experience but as an employer, the little things can make a big difference as to whether you get an interview or not. If you haven't had any call-backs, perhaps check with someone (many towns have employment assistance offices) to see if there's anything you can do differently to increase your odds in a tough job market.

Another thing you can do is follow up with the companies where you dropped off your resume. Confirm the right person received it and don't be afraid to be blunt in asking for an interview. You'd be amazed at what those little gestures can do.

I lost my resume on my computer do to a virus and I have called back no one is hiring at this time.

Banned

Banned
Ok. So you definitely do have options - your hands are not tied. You could get a bicycle, ride to town during a less busy period when the roads are safer, use a public library to redo your resume, get some volunteer work that may lead to a paying job or at least will give you transferrable skills.

You have lots of options - you just have to be creative but they are there. That's awesome - I hope you can find it in yourself to explore some of them. Of course not all of them will work out, but at least then you know and will probably meet some people and learn something in the process. And that's what life is about - exploring options and learning "stuff". Yay!

ejh7070

Ok. So you definitely do have options - your hands are not tied. You could get a bicycle, ride to town during a less busy period when the roads are safer, use a public library to redo your resume, get some volunteer work that may lead to a paying job or at least will give you transferrable skills.

You have lots of options - you just have to be creative but they are there. That's awesome - I hope you can find it in yourself to explore some of them. Of course not all of them will work out, but at least then you know and will probably meet some people and learn something in the process. And that's what life is about - exploring options and learning "stuff". Yay!

That wont work since I am not good at doing resumes and I will never ride a bike to town. Nor do I have a bike to ride. And not really into volunteering at this time. Thanks for the thoughts.

Banned

Banned
Ok but you're missing my point - you do have options. Whether or not you choose to exercise them, or find alternative ones is up to you. But there are options. I live close enough to work to walk so I have the option to walk and get some exercise and fresh air. I choose not to because I usually sleep in late and there aren't sidewalks the whole way and it would take me 25 minutes etc etc etc. So I can say it's totally unrealistic for me to walk but the reality exists that technically, walking is an option.

You're not good at doing resumes - lots of people aren't. So, your options might be a) just don't do one, b) get someone else to help you, c) apply at places where they have application forms instead of resumes, d) learn to get good at them. Options are there. You are choosing to do nothing which is fine but recognize that it's one of many options.

That's my point - options exist everywhere - search them out and decide what you want to do or what you must do. When it comes to overcoming depression, there are lots of things we must do, whether or not we want to. I don't want to take meds, but I must. I will get seriously ill if I don't. I don't want to change my thinking when I'm depressed and pissy, but I must, or it will consume me. Etc...

The beautiful thing about life is we all have free will to do whatever the heck we want. Sometimes consequences come from others, often they come from ourselves and we end up being our own worst enemy.

I've been where you are and I really hope that in time you can move past this to be in a place where you are happy and can see your world a little bit differently and more optimistically. It's not always easy, but it's definitely possible with time and hard work.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Similarly:

Develop a daily plan of action. Just because your prior job ended doesn’t mean you don’t have a current job. Your current job is looking for a job. Dedicate a couple of hours each day to your job search. This can include looking at ads, contacting people who are potential leads in a network of people in your field, and asking for more leads to contact. You can expect that there will be lots of dead-ends, but –like sales—looking for a job takes persistence. You never know when a job opens up and you happen to be the person they are looking for.

Don’t ruminate
. If you are like a lot of unemployed people you are spending too much time brooding and chewing over negative thoughts like, “Why me?”, “Will I ever find a job”, and “I can’t believe this has happened”. Unemployment is a natural condition of free market economies and it’s important to recognize that you didn’t make the economy work the way it is not working now. When you start ruminating ask yourself, “Is there any productive action that this will lead to?” If not, then plan some productive action aimed toward another goal—for example, having fun, acquiring new skills, socializing, exercising, etc.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/mental-h...ps-to-handling-your-unemployment-anxiety.html

Many ruminators stay in their depressive rut because their negative outlook hurts their problem-solving ability...

"Even when a person prone to rumination comes up with a potential solution to a significant problem, the rumination itself may induce a level of uncertainty and immobilization that makes it hard for them to move forward."

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/depression/20310-probing-the-depression-rumination-cycle.html

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

And not really into volunteering at this time.

One of the good things about volunteering is that employers like hiring people who are currently working:

The long-term jobless now make up 45 percent of the unemployed...

"Six months is the magic time period where a resume will go right in the trash, even if it's a fantastic candidate."

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/mental-health-in-the-workplace-and-on-campus/24687-dont-let-a-resume-gap-keep-you-jobless.html

Banned

Banned
Keeping skills and knowledge current and something on the resume is really crucial. When I'm weeding through resumes and there's a large gap with no explanation, then I can only assume it's not for a good reason. Were you in jail? (I've actually had that one happen with a candidate!). Were you so ill you couldn't work and if so what has changed that you can work now? Were you unemployable? I don't believe anyone is truly unemployable unless they choose to be. And the biggest question I ask myself is "why are they applying here?". If they are just desperate for any job they are not going to get an interview. If they spend a moment telling me about what it is that drew them to apply to my store then I have a good idea and in increases their chances of getting an interview. If they speak personally with me it increases their chances. If it looks like they put time and effort into applying for this position it increases their chances.

None of this is really rocket science but yet it's the small details that frequently get overlooked and definitely make a difference.

Those resume gaps really need to be handled professionally though. Thanks for posting that, Daniel.

What about organising a day where you make a list of the things you need to do in the town, organising with step dad to go with him and drop him off, you take car to do whatever and then later go back to pick step dad up.??? I do know its an early rise for you, but its not impossible and it would have the benefit of getting you town etc etc. Just another option to consider maybe.

ejh7070

Keeping skills and knowledge current and something on the resume is really crucial. When I'm weeding through resumes and there's a large gap with no explanation, then I can only assume it's not for a good reason. Were you in jail? (I've actually had that one happen with a candidate!). Were you so ill you couldn't work and if so what has changed that you can work now? Were you unemployable? I don't believe anyone is truly unemployable unless they choose to be. And the biggest question I ask myself is "why are they applying here?". If they are just desperate for any job they are not going to get an interview. If they spend a moment telling me about what it is that drew them to apply to my store then I have a good idea and in increases their chances of getting an interview. If they speak personally with me it increases their chances. If it looks like they put time and effort into applying for this position it increases their chances.

None of this is really rocket science but yet it's the small details that frequently get overlooked and definitely make a difference.

Those resume gaps really need to be handled professionally though. Thanks for posting that, Daniel.

Thank you turtle. see for most retails stores there is no place to add a resume like walmart and Kmart there is no upload a resume area. I am not sure why they do not have that option but they don't.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

What about organising a day where you make a list of the things you need to do in the town, organising with step dad to go with him and drop him off, you take car to do whatever and then later go back to pick step dad up.??? I do know its an early rise for you, but its not impossible and it would have the benefit of getting you town etc etc. Just another option to consider maybe.

Thank you Always changing the problem with this is I have poor eye sight another one of my depressed area's I do have a drivers lic but I choose not to drive because my eyes are bad. So sorry to say that organizing a day to do things out in town wont work plus we are low on gas and not alot of money for it.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yeah, my dad is a member. I don't recount anyone's application ever being denied. Then they pre-approve payment with the local optometrist that they work with.

ejh7070

@Daniel I went to the site you suggested and when I clicked on lions club it brought me to an error page. Not sure if there site is down but the link did not work. I even googled the name lions club international and same thing happen.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Contact your local chamber of commerce for the nearest one.

Lions Clubs are pretty much everywhere, so it may be that you have one close by but have problems finding it at their website.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.