More threads by Anna

Anna

Hi. My Name is Clare. I have been recently diagnosed with schizophrenia. My main symptoms are thought disorder and negative symptoms. I would be interested to hear from anyone who is expreiencing similar symptoms. I am also looking for someone to reccommend any helpful books aimed at people with schizophrenia themselves rather than at family and friends. I have read a book called 'Schizophrenia: Straight Talk for Family and Friends', and in one section it tried to be humorous about people suffering from hallucinations/delusions, which I think shows a lack of sensitivity on the author's part. Also it didn't have any list of symptoms, the actual diagnostic criterea as in DSMIV, which i think should be an essential start to any book on schizophrenia, so people have some idea of what it actually is. From my general searching of the internet for informtion on schizphrenia i find alot of information for carers and friends and not much for the people with schizophrenia themselves. (i am a bit loathe to use the term 'schizophrenics' as a label as it sounds pretty harsh but it is more concise than 'people with schizophrenia'.
I have more to say but will say it ibn another post as i am at a public library computer and my time is nearly up.
Regards, Clare.

Anna

Hi. My Name is Clare. I have been recently diagnosed with schizophrenia. My main symptoms are thought disorder and negative symptoms. I would be interested to hear from anyone who is expreiencing similar symptoms. I am also looking for someone to reccommend any helpful books aimed at people with schizophrenia themselves rather than at family and friends. I have read a book called 'Schizophrenia: Straight Talk for Family and Friends', and in one section it tried to be humorous about people suffering from hallucinations/delusions, which I think shows a lack of sensitivity on the author's part. Also it didn't have any list of symptoms, the actual diagnostic criterea as in DSMIV, which i think should be an essential start to any book on schizophrenia, so people have some idea of what it actually is. From my general searching of the internet for informtion on schizphrenia i find alot of information for carers and friends and not much for the people with schizophrenia themselves. (i am a bit loathe to use the term 'schizophrenics' as a label as it sounds pretty harsh but it is more concise than 'people with schizophrenia'.
I have more to say but will say it ibn another post as i am at a public library computer and my time is nearly up.
Regards, Clare.

HA

Hi Clare,

There is an organization called Schizophrenics Anonymous Schizophrenics Anonymous Index Page
which was created by a person with schizophrenia and is based on a support group model which is also run by people with schizophrenia. There are groups in Australia. here is an online website for support for those who have the illness as well as others. http://www.schizophrenia.com/

Personally I find the term "schizophrenic" demeaning but it is used a lot in the literature on schizophrenia and by people with the illness themselves.

I have had bouts of depression but don't refer to myself as a depressant or depressive.

Here is a site that has information on programs and support for people with this illness. They could provide contacts for an area close to you. One Door Mental Health - One Door Mental Health They also have an education program for family members. These education programs are well received and greatly appreciated by family members.

Here is a good book about schizophrenia from the perspective of those with the illness. This online book seller allows you to read through some of the pages of the books and also has reviews of books. Another book which was written by a psychiatrist with a sister with schizophrenia and is comprehensive and easy to read is Surviving Schizophrenia: A manual for consumers, families and providers. If you scroll down the page it is listed for sale with the above book and other books to sort through are listed on this page too.
Diagnosis: Schizophrenia: Miller, Rachel, Mason, Susan: 9780231126250: Amazon.com: Books

Take care

HA

Hi Clare,

There is an organization called Schizophrenics Anonymous Schizophrenics Anonymous Index Page
which was created by a person with schizophrenia and is based on a support group model which is also run by people with schizophrenia. There are groups in Australia. here is an online website for support for those who have the illness as well as others. http://www.schizophrenia.com/

Personally I find the term "schizophrenic" demeaning but it is used a lot in the literature on schizophrenia and by people with the illness themselves.

I have had bouts of depression but don't refer to myself as a depressant or depressive.

Here is a site that has information on programs and support for people with this illness. They could provide contacts for an area close to you. One Door Mental Health - One Door Mental Health They also have an education program for family members. These education programs are well received and greatly appreciated by family members.

Here is a good book about schizophrenia from the perspective of those with the illness. This online book seller allows you to read through some of the pages of the books and also has reviews of books. Another book which was written by a psychiatrist with a sister with schizophrenia and is comprehensive and easy to read is Surviving Schizophrenia: A manual for consumers, families and providers. If you scroll down the page it is listed for sale with the above book and other books to sort through are listed on this page too.
Diagnosis: Schizophrenia: Miller, Rachel, Mason, Susan: 9780231126250: Amazon.com: Books

Take care

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In addition to the resources HeartArt mentioned, there are online audio and video files at Schizophrenia.com. Included are interviews of people with schizophrenia. Right now, I am listening to the interview with John Nash, which is fairly interesting and very educational.

Though you are using a public library where the computers may not have headphones, there are other good resources at Schizophrenia.com. Also, there is a transcript of another interview with John Nash at PBS with experts giving answers to common questions about schizophrenia.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In addition to the resources HeartArt mentioned, there are online audio and video files at Schizophrenia.com. Included are interviews of people with schizophrenia. Right now, I am listening to the interview with John Nash, which is fairly interesting and very educational.

Though you are using a public library where the computers may not have headphones, there are other good resources at Schizophrenia.com. Also, there is a transcript of another interview with John Nash at PBS with experts giving answers to common questions about schizophrenia.

HA

Thank you, Dr Baxter. I hope to be able to drop in from time to time to post a reply or ask a question.

All the best!

HA

Thank you, Dr Baxter. I hope to be able to drop in from time to time to post a reply or ask a question.

All the best!

Anna

Thank you

Thank you for your replies HeartArt and Daniel. I have yet to check out any of these websites as I only just read your replies, but I will have a look and get back to you. I am particularly interested in reading the interview with John Nash, having seen 'A Beautiful Mind'. Someone told me that John Nash didn't really have visual hallucinations, just auditory, but they made them visual as well in the film to make it more visually dramatic. I'm interested to know what people think of that, in terms of artistic licence.

Anna

Thank you

Thank you for your replies HeartArt and Daniel. I have yet to check out any of these websites as I only just read your replies, but I will have a look and get back to you. I am particularly interested in reading the interview with John Nash, having seen 'A Beautiful Mind'. Someone told me that John Nash didn't really have visual hallucinations, just auditory, but they made them visual as well in the film to make it more visually dramatic. I'm interested to know what people think of that, in terms of artistic licence.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.