More threads by Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Quotable Quotes 4

"If any man seeks for greatness, let him forget greatness and ask for truth, and he will find both."

~ Horace Mann, educational reformer (1796-1859)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

"Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week." ~ George Bernard Shaw

"A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective." ~ Edward Teller

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful." ~ Buddha

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth."

~ Pearl S. Buck

"You shouldn't have to be a hero to make it through adolescence."

~ Kai Wright

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Adults hope that life begins at 40--but the great anxiety is that it ends there."

~ Daniel Levinson, The Seasons of a Man's Life

"For man is that creature without any fixed age, who has the faculty of becoming, in a few seconds, many years younger, and who, surrounded by the walls of the time through which he has lived, floats within them but as though in a basin, the surface level of which is constantly changing, so as to bring him into the range now of one epoch, now of another."

~ Marcel Proust, Remembrance of Things Past

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." ~ Elwyn Brooks White

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'." ~ Erma Bombeck

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
from The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama & Howard Cutler:

"It takes a long time to develop the behavior and habits of mind that contribute to our problems. It takes an equally long time to establish the new habits that bring happiness."

"If I receive some tragic news, at that moment I may experience some disturbance within my mind, but it goes very quickly. Or I may become irritated and develop some anger, but again, it dissipates very quickly. There is no effect on the deeper mind. No hatred. This was achieved through gradual practice; it didn't happen overnight."

"Isn't a life based on seeking personal happiness by nature self-centered, even self indulgent? Not necessarily. In fact, survey after survey has shown that it is unhappy people who tend to be the most self-focused."

"I've found that sincere motivation acts as an antidote to reduce fear and anxiety...If you develop a pure and sincere motivation, if you are motivated by a wish to help on the basis of kindness, compassion, and respect, then you can carry on any kind of work, in any field, and function more effectively with less fear or worry, not being afraid of what others think or whether you ultimately will be successful in reaching your goal. Even if you fail to achieve your goal, you can feel good about having made the effort. But with a bad motivation, people can praise you or you can achieve goals, but you still will not be happy."

"All too often we perpetuate our pain, keep it alive, by replaying our hurts over and over again in our minds, magnifying our injustices in the process."

"Concepts of the most ideal form of intimacy also vary throughout the world and history. The romantic notion of that 'One Special Person' with whom we have a passionate intimate relationship is a product of our time and culture."

"The more honest you are, the more open, the less fear you will have, because there's no anxiety about being exposed or revealed to others. So, I think that the more honest you are, the more self-confident you will be."

Status
Not open for further replies.