More threads by Mari

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." ~ Elwyn Brooks White

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Peace requires us to surrender our illusions of control. We can love and care for others but we cannot possess our children, lovers, family, or friends. We can assist them, pray for them, and wish them well, yet in the end their happiness and suffering depend on their thoughts and actions, not on our wishes.”

Jack Kornfield

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Take care in your minutes, and the hours will take care of themselves.

-- Lord Chesterfield

It took years for me to realize that the very twists and turns and shadows I labeled ‘problems’ were really sacred ground, grace disguised as obstacles, the whole path a pilgrimage, mysteries baring themselves before me all along the way.

~Danna Faulds, From Root to Bloom

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes. ~ Sally Field

A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her. ~ David Brinkley

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to. ~ W.C. Fields

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right. ~ Henry Ford

I quit being afraid when my first venture failed and the sky didn't fall down. ~ Allen H. Neuharth

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am convinced all of humanity is born with more gifts than we know. Most are born geniuses and just get de-geniused rapidly. ~ Buckminster Fuller

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within. ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Don't live down to expectations. Go out there and do something remarkable. ~ Wendy Wasserstein

I am not a has-been. I am a will be. ~ Lauren Bacall

Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong. ~ Peter T. Mcintyre

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. ~ Anaïs Nin, Diary, 1969

Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours. ~ Richard Bach, Illusions

Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside of them was superior to circumstance. ~ Bruce Barton

A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage. Every day sends to their graves obscure men whose timidity prevented them from making a first effort. ~ Sydney Smith

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway. ~ Mary Kay Ash

People are crying up the rich and variegated plumage of the peacock, and he is himself blushing at the sight of his ugly feet. ~ Sa'Di

It's hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head. ~ Sally Kempton, Esquire, 1970

Other people's opinion of you does not have to become your reality. ~ Les Brown

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
~ Dr. Seuss

They are the weakest, however strong, who have no faith in themselves or their own powers. ~ Christian Bovee

Your value is the product of your thoughts. Do not miscalculate your self worth by multiplying your insecurities. ~ Dodinsky, www.dodinsky.com

Nothing reduces the odds against you like ignoring them. ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. ~ Thomas Alva Edison

The things we hate about ourselves aren't more real than things we like about ourselves. ~ Ellen Goodman

I was thinking of my patients, and how the worst moment for them was when they discovered they were masters of their own fate. It was not a matter of bad or good luck. When they could no longer blame fate, they were in despair. ~ Anaïs Nin

Your problem is you're... too busy holding onto your unworthiness. ~ Ram Dass

If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits. ~ Don Ward

Life marks us all down, so it's just as well that we start out by overpricing ourselves. ~ Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Don't let anyone steal your dream. It's your dream, not theirs. ~ Dan Zadra

We all have our limitations, but when we listen to our critics, we also have theirs. ~ Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

What a man thinks of himself, that it is which determines, or rather indicates his fate. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. ~ Veronica A. Shoffstall, After a While, 1971

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship. ~ Louisa May Alcott

Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic. ~ Jean Sibelius, Composer

No power in society, no hardship in your condition can depress you, keep you down, in knowledge, power, virtue, influence, but by your own consent. ~ William Ellery Channing, 1838

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Nothing can make our life, or the lives of other people, more beautiful than perpetual kindness."
~ Leo Tolstoy

Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith.

~ Edward Bouverie Pusey

“We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them.”

~ Khalil Gibran

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again." ~ Flavia Weed

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The thing you are seeking, the very thing you are seeking in life is so within your grasp if you but only know how not to grasp for it. It’s already here. It’s here."

~ Ram Dass, Be Here Now

Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth.

~ Ludwig Borne

"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing."

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude."

"The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated."

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."

"Action seems to follow feeling, but really action and feeling go together; and by regulating the action, which is under the more direct control of the will, we can indirectly regulate the feeling, which is not."

~ William James

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Life is a pure flame, and we live by an invisible sun within us."

~ Sir Thomas Browne (1605-82)

An insult is a boon to a sage.

~ Lao Tsu

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Be where you are; otherwise, you will miss your life. ~ Buddha

The greater the doubt, the greater the awakening; the smaller the doubt, the smaller the awakening; no doubt, no awakening. ~ C. C. Chang (quoted in Present Perfect)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end."

— Leonardo da Vinci

"Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the small uncaring ways."

— Stephen Vincent Benet

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It has been said that a pretty face is a passport. But it's not, it's a visa, and it runs out fast.

~ Julie Burchill, writer and journalist (b. 1959)

I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think.

Rumi

Sit, be still, and listen,
because you're drunk
and we're at
the edge of the roof.

Rumi

Status
Not open for further replies.