More threads by David Baxter PhD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world."
--Shakespeare

"I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."
- Leo Rosten

"The world breaks everyone and afterward some are strong at the broken places..."
? Ernest Hemingway

"In everyone's life at some time our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit."
? Albert Schweitzer

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
? Earl Nightingale

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
? Mark Twain

Kanadiana

I absolutely love this one ... I think it's a book title.

"What you think of me is none of my business."

I've actually used it on people a few times ... how rude of me :)

Kanadiana

"What you think of me is none of my business" is a real good one ... I used it on a couple of people who were quite contemptious of me, and rude to me. They didn't like my comments ... and to think i used to be so afraid 'to be rude" or "to upset/offend people" especially vindictive people. Now I often simply feel ... knock yourself out and be as nasty as you can be ... I can't stop you. :dontknow: give it yer best shot ... of course I try to avoid these people to begin with. Life is too short and i don't have the energy for this stuff.

The soul is known by its acts.
~ St. Thomas Aquinas

Your body cannot heal without play. Your mind cannot heal without laughter. Your soul cannot heal without joy.
~ Catherine Fenwick

The soul is indestructible and its activity will continue through eternity. It is like the sun, which, to our eyes, seems to set at night; but it has in reality only gone to diffuse its light elsewhere.
~ Johann von Goethe

The soul is not a physical entity, but instead refers to everything about us that is not physical - our values, memories, identity, sense of humor. Since the soul represents the parts of the human being that are not physical, it cannot get sick, it cannot die, it cannot disappear. In short, the soul is immortal.
~ Harold Kushner

To nourish the soul means to become kind and compassionate, wiser and more loving, often through the making of difficult choices that foster growth rather than safety.
~ Joan Borysenko

A word of kindness is seldom spoken in vain. It can be and is often treasured by the recipient for life.
~ George D. Prentice

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
~ Jawaharlal Nehru

You must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it.That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing and dance, and write poems, and suffer, and understand, for all that is life.
~ J. Krishnamurti

Life has loveliness to sell,
All beautiful and splendid things,
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings
And children's faces looking up
Holding wonder like a cup.
~ Sara Teasdale

"Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact."
~ William James

Finish each day and be done with it...You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you should begin it well and serenely.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.
~ Carl Gustav Jung

Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty.
~ Mother Teresa

Beauty is not in the face; Beauty is a light in the heart.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Butterfly Wings

How would it be
on a day in June
to open your eyes
in a dark cocoon,

And soften one end
and crawl outside,
and find you had wings
to open wide,

And find you could fly
to a bush or tree
or float on the air
like a boat at sea...

How would it BE?

--by Aileen Fisher

Hope is a renewable option: If you run out of it at the end of the day, you get to start over in the morning.
--Barbara Kingsolver

It takes courage to have hope.
--Louise E. Johnson

When the world says, "Give up," hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
--Unknown

We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light.
~ Mary Dunbar

Since everybody is an individual, nobody can be you. You are unique. No one can tell you how to use your time. It is yours. Your life is your own. You mold it. You make it.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
~ The Buddha

I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a big of magic somewhere behind the morning.
~ J. B. Priestly

Never let yesterday use up too much of today.
~ Will Rogers

But there was no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bore witness that a man had the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.
-- From "Man's Search For Meaning," by Victor Frankl

Courage is more exhilarating than fear, and in the long run it is easier. We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it is not as dreadful as it appeared, discovering we have the strength to stare it down.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I apologize for posting so many quotes. I really like them and I think sometimes they can be inspiring. :)

ThatLady

You know, it just occurred to me...

It might be a wonderful experiment for each of us to take one of these quotes that seems to speak to us in a special way at this time and see if we can apply it to our life for a day. Just one day. How hard can that be? I'm going to search for one and apply it to my thinking for the rest of the day. I'll let you know how things go. :)

ThatLady

I think I'm going to pick this one for today:

A word of kindness is seldom spoken in vain. It can be and is often treasured by the recipient for life.
~ George D. Prentice

I'm going to try to keep that foremost in my mind, and utter as many words of kindness as I can. I have a feeling the return will be worth far more than the investment. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.