More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"While a relentlessly intense job like a senior executive position leads to a slightly increased risk of heart disease and death, a job with no control is significantly more dangerous."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“People wouldn't think that universal health care has anything to do with the Sunday scaries, but it absolutely does … Creating a slightly different Sunday routine isn't going to change the massive structural problems.”

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"It’s not enough to simply be a nontoxic workplace; that’s neutral. Instead, organizations should strive for a healthy and positive workplace culture with leaders who really listen to their customers, employees and stakeholders."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“We tend to think of creating a hit movie, opening a restaurant, or building a nonprofit, as one start. The reality is, you never stop starting.”

“Instead of building a fortress, start with a cottage.”

“Take the pressure off yourself and let yourself make a tiny start.”

“My first blog post sucked. My next blog post sucked. I have written dozens and dozens of sucky blog posts, and I can only hope that I will continue to do work that sucks until the day I die. Because it’s in the process of doing that bad work that the good work comes out."

“When we create our art, it’s a process of self-actualization. Your true self is constantly in conflict with the expectations of the world around you. Is it okay to do this? Will this make someone mad? Will I embarrass myself? Will I be stripped of my “best behaved” award?”

― David Kadavy, The Heart To Start: Stop Procrastinating & Start Creating

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“Much of the stress that people feel doesn’t come from having too much to do. It comes from not finishing what they’ve started.”

~ David Allen

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Radical flexibility is a new set of principles in which employee expectations about where, when, and how they work are met through flexible work schedules, shared purpose, and excellence in communication processes.

Radical flexibility involves your leaders:
  • Letting employees decide their own work schedule as long as they meet work goals
  • Establishing intentional collaboration opportunities for all employees, whether working all or part of the workweek remotely
  • Letting employees decide how they will meet work goals instead of giving specific instructions
  • Not micro-managing work efforts and understanding each employee has a personal approach to succeeding in their work efforts.
  • Using empathy-based management
  • Making decisions based on the new assumptions about employees and work

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"You do not rise to the level of your goals. Your fall to the level of your systems."

"The ultimate form of intrinsic motivation is when a habit becomes part of your identity. It's one thing to say I'm the type of person who wants this. It's something very different to say I'm the type of person who is this."

~ James Clear, author of Atomic Habits

Motivation is usually high initially and toward the end, but not in the middle. The solution? Keep the middles very short (e.g., instead of monthly goals, set weekly goals).

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Goals vs. Systems
  • Goals are about the results you want to achieve. Systems are about the processes that lead to those results.
  • Goals are good for setting a direction, but systems are best for making progress.
  • Winners and losers have the same goals.
  • Achieving a goal is only a momentary change.
  • Goals restrict your happiness.
  • Goals are at odds with long-term progress.
  • The purpose of setting goals is to win the game. The purpose of building systems is to continue playing the game.
  • You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Myth: “I won't be happy in a role with less responsibility”

“This is wrong on two counts. Many of us start down a track when we are very young that takes us to a place we never anticipated being. Some of us want to hit the reset button and have the financial resources from our first career to do just that. Second, as our personal circumstances change, due to aging parents or health scares, many over-40 job seekers relish a job with less responsibility—as long as they can still add value.”

—Kim Seeling Smith, founder and CEO of Ignite Global, based in Sydney and Austin

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.