More threads by jo will

jo will

The flashbacks have started. Obviously trigged by the stressors at work. I am so tired of struggling. Ever since I could remember, whenever I stood up for myself, I was constantly struck down (physically, mentally and verbally). It is continuing now with my situation at work. What am I doing wrong? I saw my psyciatrist on Thursday and I felt worse after seeing him. His only advice was to take breaks from work and not to take it personally and bring it home. He also said that because I cry, I am weak. I am very frustrated and tired!!! I don't think I can endure anymore.

He also said that because I cry, I am weak.
i think it might be a good idea for you to find a new and supportive psychiatrist. statements like this put you down and are counter-productive to your healing. is he doing counseling with you or just prescriptions for medication?

lallieth

Hi Jo

Weak people do not cry,strong people cry because we allow ourselves to FEEL,and to show emotion outright,which takes strength and courage.You are NOT weak.

I know it's hard not to take anything personally,when you feel you are being attacked verbally,especially when you are already feeling tired and run down.

Are you happy with your therapist? perhaps it's time to find another,that can help you work on dealing with the stress/flashbacks?

braveheart

I really understand the 'punishment' for being assertive. I was also discouraged from asserting myself, so I never learnt to feel secure in myself.

Crying isn't a sign of weakness at all - it can be a sign of healthy expression of emotions - frustration, sadness, disappointment, hurt, rejection.

An ex psychotherapy tutor once told me to be assertive - and then said later that it doesn't always make a difference. Agghhh! That did my confidence a bundle of good - not! But she is right - not everyone will respond to our healthy assertion with acceptance, respect and understanding. The thing is to have enough positive experiences to build up some inner security and self belief. Work seems to be knocking you down, and you should have the right kind of support to help build yourself up. Which is why it might be a very good idea to ensure you've got a therapist or counsellor and psychiatrist who who are really on your side and help you to nurture you.

ladylore

Account Closed
The flashbacks have started. Obviously trigged by the stressors at work. I am so tired of struggling. Ever since I could remember, whenever I stood up for myself, I was constantly struck down (physically, mentally and verbally). It is continuing now with my situation at work. What am I doing wrong? I saw my psyciatrist on Thursday and I felt worse after seeing him. His only advice was to take breaks from work and not to take it personally and bring it home. He also said that because I cry, I am weak. I am very frustrated and tired!!! I don't think I can endure anymore.

I use distraction methods to get myself back into my body - has your psychiatrist taught you any methods of dealing with flashbacks?

I agree with what has been said so far. Crying isn't a sign of weakness and now may be a good time to to search for more supportive therapy.

Mangopork

You need to see an EMDR therapist and get EMDR treatment.

jo will

Things have seemed to settled down a little. However, I still need to deal with the emotional situation at work. I am being very careful not to overuse and/or underuse my PRN at work. I want/need to keep in touch with my feelings, have clarity to my surroundings. How does one effectively not take their work personally? How do you keep for being sensitive when you are constantly being blamed and nit picked to death by your supervisor?
My husband has been awesome being my sounding board with wonderful comforting arms. With all that being said, I find I have an acute awareness that my soul needs soothing. I have never before in my life felt this and realize it may have been hurting all along. I guess I have peeled back another layer on the onion of feelings!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.