More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“Nobody enjoys the company of others as intensely as someone who usually avoids the company of others.”

― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Queen of social chameleons, I mastered the art of telling people what they wanted to hear and being someone they would find impressive—all the while worrying incessantly about what others thought of me, fearing criticism, and holding myself back as a result.”

Sacha Crouch

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Insecurity is inevitable. No place—and no one—is completely secure, from a supermax prison to Cheyenne Mountain to that guy in your office with perfect teeth and CEO hair. But you can minimize it by anchoring yourself in your deepest values, your moments of integrity, and your unique self.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

The way to a partner’s heart is to make them feel safe enough to explore and experience their own authentic self.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

It is the small moments that count. When your partner calls you during the day, does your voice light up when you realize who's on the line, or does your tone of voice imply that they are interrupting more important tasks? When an employee or colleague walks through the door, do you put down the phone or close the computer to give them your full attention? If your child had a dentist appointment or was facing a challenge with a friend, do you remember to ask how things went? It is these small, non-trivial moments of attention—these positive rituals and routines we establish—that turn out to be the most powerful predictors of relationship success.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Men are raised in a way that makes it difficult to accept in themselves anything that might be called ‘weak,’ including those healthy dependency needs which you have to accept to be really close to someone else."

~ Harriet Lerner

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

No one is entirely good and no one entirely bad. In fact, rather than seeing anyone as good or bad, it is more useful to notice the roles being played in the relationship and the ways in which all of us become stuck in patterns that we don't know how to get out of.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”

― Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"For some people, love and intimacy might not just be undesirable but downright toxic."

~ Richard Alan Friedman, M.D.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

With political divisions centre-stage in many nations, as well as increasing individualism in cultures around the world, many experts believe the parent-child ‘break-up’ trend will stick around.

“My prediction is that it's either going to get worse or stay the same,” says Coleman. “Family relationships are going to be based much more on pursuing happiness and personal growth, and less on emphasising duty, obligation or responsibility.”

Pillemer argues that we shouldn’t rule out attempting to bridge rifts, however, particularly those stemming from opposing politics or values (as opposed to abusive or damaging behaviours).

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“As human beings, we’re oriented towards comparison.”

“The sibling relationship is unique and multifaceted and there are often just as many differences within families as there are between them.”

"The best predictor for your adult relationship is your childhood one, but there’s also room for change."

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

With political divisions centre-stage in many nations, as well as increasing individualism in cultures around the world, many experts believe the parent-child ‘break-up’ trend will stick around.

“My prediction is that it's either going to get worse or stay the same,” says Coleman. “Family relationships are going to be based much more on pursuing happiness and personal growth, and less on emphasising duty, obligation or responsibility.”

Pillemer argues that we shouldn’t rule out attempting to bridge rifts, however, particularly those stemming from opposing politics or values (as opposed to abusive or damaging behaviours).

I predict that it's either going to get worse or stay the same or get better.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“The saddest thing we hear is from people who say: ‘I had such a difficult time with my own parents that I don’t dare risk becoming a parent myself.’”

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"There is something generous, mature, and wonderful about having another recognize the inauthenticity in our temporary little madnesses and refuse to believe that we truly mean the hurtful things we say in a momentary lapse of reason, someone whose view of us is firmly anchored in our deeper, truer tendencies, and who continues to know us even when we ourselves forget who we are."

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.