More threads by prayerbear

Has anyone diagnosed with PTSD also have a hard time holding on to jobs?

Are you now receive SSI income(disability)

Miss clean

Has anyone diagnosed with PTSD also have a hard time holding on to jobs?

Are you now receive SSI income(disability)

Miss clean

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Most people with PTSD have difficulty with anxiety, depression, impaired sleep, fears, and often agoraphobia, etc., and so this does impact on one's ability to work.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Most people with PTSD have difficulty with anxiety, depression, impaired sleep, fears, and often agoraphobia, etc., and so this does impact on one's ability to work.

SSi benefits continued

So if this impairs ones ability to work, do you know a lot of people who are receiving disability for these disorders (OCD, ADD, PTSD, etc.) because they simply put, can't hold on to a job?

thanks,
miss clean

SSi benefits continued

So if this impairs ones ability to work, do you know a lot of people who are receiving disability for these disorders (OCD, ADD, PTSD, etc.) because they simply put, can't hold on to a job?

thanks,
miss clean

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some are, yes. Each person is evaluated individually to determine ability to work. As has been noted before, your best bet is to talk to your doctor or therapist about determining your capacities and documenting that for a disability application.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some are, yes. Each person is evaluated individually to determine ability to work. As has been noted before, your best bet is to talk to your doctor or therapist about determining your capacities and documenting that for a disability application.

Hey miss clean,

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and Major Depression and have received medical insurance.

I had just started working with a new company and had only been there for a little over 6 months when I went on short term leave. The company and their insurance company were excellent about it and I was able to receive Short Term Medical Leave (67% of my salary) for 5 months. However, because I had been with the company for less than a year and had experienced symptoms during my probationary period (first 3 months of employment), I could not switch over to Long Term Leave due to their "Pre-existing Illness" clause. This was terrifying because I was NOT ready to go back to work, but had no income and wasn't in any shape to be co-coordinating any. Luckily, I had paid enough into Employment Insurance and was able to receive Medical E.I. benefits for 12 weeks. Those weeks ended and I eventually (when ready to go back to work - which was the middle of August) was eligible for regular E.I. I am not going back to doing what I was doing before - it is too much for me to handle.

I felt very scared about not being capable of thinking or caring properly for my son - let alone generating enough money to take care of our basic needs. But as soon as I began making a few calls, I learned that there were options (I even called Social Services to find out if I was eligible for that). None were as financially lucrative as working, but at least they paid for my rent and food while I got better :)

Hope this helps.

Hey miss clean,

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and Major Depression and have received medical insurance.

I had just started working with a new company and had only been there for a little over 6 months when I went on short term leave. The company and their insurance company were excellent about it and I was able to receive Short Term Medical Leave (67% of my salary) for 5 months. However, because I had been with the company for less than a year and had experienced symptoms during my probationary period (first 3 months of employment), I could not switch over to Long Term Leave due to their "Pre-existing Illness" clause. This was terrifying because I was NOT ready to go back to work, but had no income and wasn't in any shape to be co-coordinating any. Luckily, I had paid enough into Employment Insurance and was able to receive Medical E.I. benefits for 12 weeks. Those weeks ended and I eventually (when ready to go back to work - which was the middle of August) was eligible for regular E.I. I am not going back to doing what I was doing before - it is too much for me to handle.

I felt very scared about not being capable of thinking or caring properly for my son - let alone generating enough money to take care of our basic needs. But as soon as I began making a few calls, I learned that there were options (I even called Social Services to find out if I was eligible for that). None were as financially lucrative as working, but at least they paid for my rent and food while I got better :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I learn a lot every day!

What is E.E.I? and also I hope you found a good medication for PTSD and major depression. I have had two major(not clinilal)OCD depressions instantly switched to Celexa(40 mg.) but then gradually went to Paxil(60) mg as it takes care of anxiety.
While on the topic of depression, I have noticed that
fish oil and B6 really aids the medicine! I "perk" by it!

Are you ALSO able to get SSI income?
I am happy that this job situation is positive for you!

Miss clean

Thanks! I learn a lot every day!

What is E.E.I? and also I hope you found a good medication for PTSD and major depression. I have had two major(not clinilal)OCD depressions instantly switched to Celexa(40 mg.) but then gradually went to Paxil(60) mg as it takes care of anxiety.
While on the topic of depression, I have noticed that
fish oil and B6 really aids the medicine! I "perk" by it!

Are you ALSO able to get SSI income?
I am happy that this job situation is positive for you!

Miss clean

I think E.I. is employment insurance.

I have completed many psychological evaluations (involving objective measurements) for disability determination. David is correct as it can depend upon each person's case as well as discussing this topic with your doctor or therapist. What I looked for was the person's ability to maintain gainful employment given their mental health issues.

Additionally, I would suggest being proactive in your efforts to obtain SSI as many times they deny benefits for the first two and sometimes third applications for SSI. You would want to make sure that you have your support system available through this process as it can be an emotionally draining experience. Having your therapist, doctor, your family, friends as well as the support of this good group of people such as this board will provide solace during your application process. I hope everything works out for you and that you are able to have some financial relief as well.

Best wishes to you Miss Clean!

I think E.I. is employment insurance.

I have completed many psychological evaluations (involving objective measurements) for disability determination. David is correct as it can depend upon each person's case as well as discussing this topic with your doctor or therapist. What I looked for was the person's ability to maintain gainful employment given their mental health issues.

Additionally, I would suggest being proactive in your efforts to obtain SSI as many times they deny benefits for the first two and sometimes third applications for SSI. You would want to make sure that you have your support system available through this process as it can be an emotionally draining experience. Having your therapist, doctor, your family, friends as well as the support of this good group of people such as this board will provide solace during your application process. I hope everything works out for you and that you are able to have some financial relief as well.

Best wishes to you Miss Clean!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.