More threads by David Baxter PhD

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"The world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it."
-- Helen Keller

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus

"Courage consists in holding on just on moment longer."
-- Albert Payson Terhune

Kanadiana

David Baxter said:
"Courage consists in holding on just one moment longer."
-- Albert Payson Terhune

The above is definately my favorite because thats the only kind of courage that worked for me through every bout of "I can't cope with this". Much of my life has had to be moment by moment while my mind and life tossed things up at me from out of the blue.

sammy

James Thurber
Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness

Gracián
Good things, when short, are twice as good. (I like this one, being 5' 2'' myself)

Faith Whittlesey
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

Please forgive me adding this personal thing, men, but it is what I have always said, and I have just found it in print!! :D
Gloria Steinem:
If women are supposed to be less rational and more emotional at the beginning of our menstrual cycle when the female hormone is at its lowest level, then why isn't it logical to say that, in those few days, women behave the most like the way men behave all month long?

Louisa May Alcott:
When women are the advisers, the lords of creation don't take the advice till they have persuaded themselves that it is just what they intended to do; then they act upon it, and if it succeeds, they give the weaker vessel half the credit of it; if it fails, they generously give her the whole.
in Little Women

Amy Bloom:
Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle.

Homer:
There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.

Mignon McLaughlin:
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.

Tom Mullen:
Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You get what you settle for...

Leonard Cohen - Bird On A Wire
I saw an old man leaning on a wooden crutch...
He called out to me, "Hey, don't ask for so much."
And I saw a young woman leaning in a darkened door...
She cried out to me, "Hey! Why not ask for more?

You get what you settle for...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
--Joseph Campbell

We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
--Martin Luther King

Remember sadness is always temporary. This, too, shall pass.
--Chuck T. Falcon

Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings.
--Elie Weisel

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
--Japanese proverb

When I hear somebody sigh, "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask, "Compared to what?"
--Sydney J. Harris

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
--Soren Kierkegaard.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul.
--Emily Dickensons

Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark.
--unknown

HA

Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back,you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia

Kindness is tenderness. Kindness is love, but perhaps greater than love...Kindness is good will. Kindness says, "I want you to be happy.
- Randolph Ray

What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?
- Jean Jacques Rousseau

Kindness is an inner desire that makes us want to do good things even if we do not get anything in return. It is the joy of our life to do them. When we do good things from this inner desire, there is kindness in everything we think, say, want and do.
- Emmanuel Swedenborg

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.
- Seneca

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.
- Theodore Isaac Rubin

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these.
- George Washington Carver

Never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill

Great changes may not happen right away, but with effort even the difficult may become easy.
- Bill Blackman

To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

May you live all the days of your life.
- Jonathan Swift

HA

Strive to realize a state of inward happiness, independent of circumstances.

J.P. Greaves

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It is there all the time." -- Anna Freud, daughter of Sigmund Freud

"Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it." -- Goethe

"The only duty we owe history is to rewrite it." -- Oscar Wilde

"There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." -- Dr. Wayne Dyer (and others)

"Ask yourself whether you are happy and you cease to be so." -- John S. Mill

"We are never so happy or so unhappy as we think." -- La Rochefoucauld

"There will always be dreams grander or humbler than your own, but there will never be a dream exactly like your own...for you are unique and more wondrous than you know!"
-Linda Staten

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
-Mark Twain

Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do.
-Edward Everett Hale

People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest person with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest person with the smallest mind.
Think big anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack if you help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you might get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
-Bishop Abel Muzorewa

An ocean that's still
or a baby that sleeps
A sunset in June
or a promise you keep.
A voice of a friend
Or the song of the wind,
It's the whisper of life
that love chose to send.
Go in peace,
Spread your wings,
Taste of life,
Find your dreams.
-Jonathan Pierce

Twenty Dollars

A well known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20 bill. In the room of 200, he asked. "Who would like this $20 bill?"

Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you - but first, let me do this."

He proceeded to crumple the 20 dollar note up. He then asked. "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air.

"Well," he replied, "what if I do this?" He dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?"

Still the hands went into the air.

"My friends, you have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.

Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless; but no matter what happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value.

Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who love you. The worth of our lives comes, not in what we do or who we know, but by ...WHO WE ARE.

You are special - don't ever forget it."

-Author unknown

You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness now. How? By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged.
-Dale Carnegie

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
-Albert Schweitzer, 1875 - 1965

Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.
-Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost.
-Helen Keller

It is possible to be standing on one side of a door and perceive the world as a dark and lonely place, while on the other side of that very same door are countless people just waiting to lend support and cheer you on. All that is required is that you turn the knob.
-Author Unknown

Listen to the Mustn'ts, child,
Listen to the Don'ts
Listen to the Shouldn'ts
The Impossibles, the Won'ts
Listen to the Never Haves,
Then listen close to me --
Anything can happen, child,
Anything can be.
-Shel Silverstein (One of my personal favorites.)

This place where you are, this place where you stand, is where you must start.
From here you can go in any direction and to any destination... and it is impossible to start from anywhere else.
-Ron Atchison

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Status
Not open for further replies.