More threads by Banned

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. Got a power recliner sofa and chair set at the Salvation Army for only $90.
2. Was worried someone would get hurt moving the sofa up the porch stairs, but my husband and his friend were contagiously optimistic.
3. Reclining comfortably, and the cats are not scratching the sofa :crossfingers:

GaryQ

MVP
Got a power recliner sofa and chair set at the Salvation Army for only $90.

Hope you scanned it meticulously for little potentially "uninvited house guests" that often come with used furniture. There was a good thing about DDT it almost eradicated bedbugs from the planet permanently.... ALMOST... Now they're back with a vengeance:panic:

Reclining comfortably, and the cats are not scratching the sofa...

...Yet :crossfingers:

(That reminds me of the picture of the cat sticking his head out through the sofa, from the inside)

1. Rode my bike around the block.
  2. Remembered twice today that my "2" key doesn't work, before I pressed it.
  3. Have pre-chopped some veges for tonight's dinner so there's slightly less to prepare.

keyboard.png
This one ^

I spilled water on it last month, took it apart, dried it out, but that key and my full stop key were somehow shorted together so I couldn't press one without the other. I sacrificed the 2/@ and remapped it so it wouldn't be a problem most of the time. Now it's just a dead key. My keyboard (not shown above) has a numpad so writing '2' is fine as long as I remember to use the numpad one rather than the dead one. But I really should remap it to something usable so that I don't have to copy/paste @ whenever I want to use that.

GaryQ

MVP
“Interesting” is it a stand-alone keyboard? If so you can get a decent one for a reasonable price. Think of it as a simple system upgrade;)

It is, but it's an ergonomic keyboard which wasn't/isn't all that cheap for a keyboard. Had it for about 12 years so I'm very used to it and set in my ways using it, with its exact height on my exact same desk height. One dead number key can be dealt with ;) There was a bit of existing corrosion on the PCBs so I'll have to upgrade eventually, but I can probably squeeze a few more years out of it... further water incidents outstanding.

1. Staying in perspective about my knee being sore during/after a day of rigorous sitting, post bike ride yesterday.
  2. Weekend time.
  3. Coming up with some positives.

1. My face didn't get as sunburnt as my arms today from the unexpectedly long walk.
  2. The hot leaking water has cooled to warm. So I turned off the correct switch, and the flow rate can't be toooo high if it's still above cold tap temp 12 hours later.
  3. My bedroom is the furthest room away from the trucks which are still dumping gravel on the train tracks this evening... Although I'm concerned that they'll move closer to this side of the building since the track wraps around.
  4. Doing a couple of extra positives because half of the ones above are still kind of being sarcastic. Sometimes takes a while to get into the spirit of the exercise ;)
  5. I did a pretty good job with calling the plumber this morning without staying in an avoidy anxious mode.
  6. My dodgy sticky tape contraption held up all day. Only as complex as it needs to be. #engineeringskillz :lol:
IMG_20190112_125734.jpg

GaryQ

MVP
1 - :up::up: on the "rig-a-ma-jig" Great job! I Wouldn't put it on your "resumé" if looking for a new engineering position though but quick thinking :D

2 - How old is that thing? Looks like it's almost as old as you are

3 - What the heck is that thing anyway? I'm hoping it is a water boiler for space heating also, Because 90c max / 80c recommended operating temperature for a hot water tank seems insane! :eek:mg:

twin called hospital for me told daughter to call me

daughter is doing ok they are not mistreating her trying to get her stable again

staying in today staying quiet keeping warm by fire

Haha thanks Gary, yeah it's not something I'll be too quick to share with my colleagues. ;) I would have done a better job attaching it if the water hadn't been too hot to permit much hesitation, and if I wasn't standing in the airspace of a pair of (non aggressive but I didn't want to try their patience) hornets. :lol:

It's just a regular electric hot water system/storage unit, but was the original one that was installed when the apartments were built. It did supply somewhat excessively hot water. :eek:mg:

Glad to hear that your daughter is doing ok fmn.

GaryQ

MVP
1 -FMN Happy to hear she’s safe and being treated OK and that you’re staying warm by the fire.

2 - Gooblax- Aggressively hot you say? The Canadaiam standard is set at 60c (140F) has been the cause of alarm and debate for a long time because an adult can get 3rd degree burns in 6 seconds and a small child in 1 second at the recommended temp. The problem is that the bacteria that causes legionnaire’s disease proliferates agréssively under 60c

3 - I’m pretty sure of 3 things about that “monster”
- it’s most likely not a standard how water tank and most likely a hot water boiler for heating purposes
- the cost to Use that thing as a hot water tank must have been as insane as the risk of causing serious harm
- I’m happy that it finally died and hopefully will be replaced with a more economical and safer alternative. Hot water ranks have a 7 to 10 year life expectancy if I recall correctly.

BONUS: I’m glad you were never seriously scalded because of that thing!

In the manual it says that they recommend setting the thermostat to the minimum (60C) and installing a temp limiting device as well.
Plumber hasn't come around yet - it's only early afternoon. I think he's hoping to get away with just replacing some valves but we'll see. I probably need both a new valve and new system.

GaryQ

MVP
I read the manual; "Interesting" heat transfer system. Works like an on demand electric heater but keeps the reservoir at almost boiling temps. Oh well... different countries different gizmos.

For the sake of curiosity gooblax; what's the date of manufacture printed on the tank? Or has the plumber already hauled it off to the museum :rofl:

I forgot to check. He hasn't come yet, and I'm busy avoiding my neighbour who will no doubt have 30mins of b.s. to unload onto me about the water bill because it's still leaking (as she helpfully re-informed me last night).

1. Listened to a song to put me in a slightly better mood this morning.
  2. Email is down at work for the moment so I don't have to do any liaising stuff yet.
  3. I still have a relatively low-brainpower task to complete today.

1. Went for a walk yesterday.
  2. Put sunscreen on so I wouldn't get burnt (even though sunscreen feels disgusting).
  3. Saw @Daniel 's cruise ship ;) (not really, unless he happened to come to Australia, to this specific location lol)
IMG_20190120_152320.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. Had a great time on my cruise and got lots of exercise taking the stairs all the time.

2. No one on the ship seemed to get norovirus (though many people including myself got a cold at the final stretch).

3. My favorite ports were in Mexico, so already looking forward to taking a road trip to Mexico (in the safety corridor) with my husband and our dogs for our next vacation.
198db38a7143416c3000865949b07020-1.jpg

grateful for kind security guard treated my girl and me with respect
grateful snow has stopped some tired of shoveling it
grateful it is warming up a bit tired of being cold 53 degree house sucks big time up to 62 now in house

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.