More threads by gooblax

1. Successfully moved desk before my colleague arrived, who is borrowing my desk for a few days.
  2. Email is down at work, and I was asked to tell someone something because I sit near him. Not sure why she couldn't use the instant messenger to tell him herself but perhaps she was nervous talking to him (because the person who asked me is a younger junior engineer who doesn't routinely work with this guy). But I told him this morning and he also thought it was kind of amusing that I was passing on a message for her.
  3. Survived an impromptu meeting that was happening beside my desk for like 30 minutes, getting a little bit annoyed but not much because the work I was doing didn't require much steady thought.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
  1. It's been cooler yesterday and today after our usual mid-May mini heat wave.
  2. Sleeping better as a result so more energy to do stuff.
  3. The usual local yahoos have been setting off fireworks because it's Victoria Day and that's what yahoos do every time there's the slightest excuse to make explode fireworks and disturb people. :mad: :mad: :mad: It scares Mindy. Really it scares most cats or dogs. And it's a complete waste of money to boot. However, it's now 10.30 pm local time and they seem to be slowing down. Maybe they've finished for the night. 🤞

1. I managed to go to the store tonight so I won't be stuck eating a bread-crust sandwich at work tomorrow.
  2. I was feeling sad but then watched this which seriously improved my mood.
  3. Going to bed now so I'll at least get off the computer, even if I only get as far as being on my phone.

1. For a work task that I'm reviewing, I finally managed to convince myself that the method that a person used to calculate their result is more conservative than the way I would have done it. So they get a lower safety margin, which is OK (compared to getting a falsely high value which means that the structure breaks before we thought it would... Not good!). So I can sign off on their report, once we decide on the appropriate stress concentration factor for another part of the analysis.
  2. Already said this in another thread but it's a relief to realise for the first time that things with my psych may not ultimately end in an upsetting way.
  3. It's almost lunch time so it's almost time to eat my tuna and crackers.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. Husband still likes his new job.

2. Elderly neighbor is doing fine after having to go to the hospital for observation (angina). I was able to shop for her easily by scanning UPC codes (of items in her house) into the Walmart grocery app.

3. Feeling better today than I have in weeks.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
  1. Chemo on Tuesday. CT scan on Wednesday. Home chemo infusion disconnected Thursday. Feeling pretty good except for sleeping like a log with the extra medications.
  2. Test results are a bit confusing to me, seemingly contradictory, but after my usual "go directly to worst case scenario" reaction to medical uncertainty I pulled myself back. In fact, re-reading the results they seem a lot more positive than my first quick skim. I have a telephone appointment with my oncologist next week to review all the findings.
  3. Nice cool spring weather to continue through the weekend.
  4. BONUS: I forgot to mention last week that I tried soft tacos with Beyond Meat and it was really quite good. Asked my son to grab some more fixin's to make more this coming week. So I now have substitutes for 2 of my 3 favorite fast foods: cheeseburgers and tacos. Still missing: pizza.

1. BF gets his first COVID vaccination shot next week. He's in a neighbourhood where they're doing home-visits for vaccination so his whole family can get it in the one go without having to try and get to a clinic, which is pretty convenient.
  2. The neighbour's dog didn't bark at me from the balcony when I went out to water my plant.
  3. Took a bit of extra time to crisp up the sides of the burrito I made.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dachshunds can be so judgmental. :coffee:

In other news, I think the name for that breed should be officially changed to Sausage Dog. If people insist on a German name, that would be Wursthund, still easier to spell and pronounce and the British could change it to Worcesterhund.

1. Did a mindfulness meditation last night before bed (and finally stopped ignoring the reminder I'd set myself).
  2. I was feeling sad last night but didn't do anything to make it worse.
  3. Woke up with a sore leg down the IT band which had caused my knee problem, but it didn't affect me during riding this morning.

1. It was warmer riding to work today than it was earlier in the week.
  2. I'm not feeling as randomly sad as I was yesterday.
  3. Psych sent the link to our video session ready for this afternoon, so I can stop thinking about that for the rest of the day. I can, doesn't mean I will, but it's always possible ;)

1. Psych has already caught up on 2 bills since I mentioned it to him last night. Only 2 left now.
  2. I have something to do at work while I'm waiting for more urgent tasks. The thing I'm doing should be interesting but it's hard to be motivated on it when I don't know the final design.
  3. My parents let me know what days they want to do something with me so I know what days to take off work, assuming one of those urgent tasks doesn't need my attention on those days.

1. I had to update some calculations due to a change in mass of one of the parts, but it was a really quick update. The harder part is something that's not in my area of expertise so we're waiting for a response.
  2. Last night I was upsetting myself about no-reason anxiety and aloneness and therapy stuff (surprise, surprise) but I made myself write some notes from my last therapy session and felt a lot better (even though I didn't get very far with the notes).
  3. My head might be messed up when it comes to clothing, but not everyone's is. And my psych's relative has freedom to express themselves and their clothing preferences that I never had, which is a positive.

1. I had an amusingly unfortuitous trip to work this morning, because it started heavily raining as soon as I left the driveway and pretty much stopped just as I was going to turn out of my street. So because of those brief 2 minutes I had cold damp clothes to ride home in this afternoon, against a strong headwind, on the coldest afternoon we've had so far this year.
  2. Something I ordered online has arrived at the parcel locker, after a bit of a weird one from FedEx where the tracker email said "delivered" except it was only partially delivered and passed on to Aus Post who then had to put it in the parcel locker. Unfortunately the downside is that I failed my attempt to get it put in the locker close to the weekend - I have 48 hours to collect it and would've preferred that to be over the weekend. I could have collected it this afternoon but decided not to due to point 1. So I've saved that for tomorrow morning, coincidentally the coldest morning that we've had so far this year.
  3. Trying to encourage myself to do the dishes by thinking about how the water will warm up my hand that's half cold for some reason.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.