More threads by gooblax

1. I have the opportunity to get a vaccination way earlier than my current booking (ie. I could pretty much get it tomorrow) but it's at a location that's harder to get to even though it's still relatively nearby. I'm not sure what to do because I'm too nervous to ride my bike there, and I don't know if you're really meant to do cardio after Pfizer... But if I don't ride then it's an inconvenient bus, and it's only during work hours but without a bike I can't get to/from work on the same day as the clinic and vice versa. Unless I do a practice bike ride on the weekend to determine how to get there safely enough, and then do the appointment one day after work.

2. I'm spoiled for choice regarding vaccines at the moment, but it's making it difficult because I want to make the 'best choice' but there's insufficient information. Eg. would effectiveness be better if I get AZ then an mrna vaccine booster next year, is the reported (but not peer reviewed) faster reduction in Pfizer effectiveness vs. AZ a reason to get AZ instead of Pfizer... Or is Pfizer's initial higher protection better in light of the country's opening out of lockdown strategy... Which is determined by % of vaccinated people, so it's only an approximate timeframe anyway. So it's leading to decision paralysis.

3. I don't have to buy safety cones / witches hats on the weekend.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My advice is to get the Pfizer vaccine. It seems to be both the safest and the most effective based on my research.

Second choice: Moderna

Third choice: AstroZeneca

So that may affect your decision about where and when to get your vaccination.

Yeah that was the way I was leaning, as long as I don't get distracted by non-scientific issues or unconfirmed data (that I haven't even seen, I've only seen a random article that doesn't even give numbers so who knows if they even interpreted it correctly).

But I've also developed an irrational nervousness about the vaccines which I know is just thanks to media and uneducated opinions. Luckily to combat that I just need to think about what could happen when I catch COVID and am not vaccinated.
So the remainder is "am I making the best choice" what-if anxiety.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'd imagine you've been pretty thorough about it and with your background it's certainly a more educated opinion than some other sources.

I've gone ahead and booked in for next Tuesday afternoon, which should give me time to decide on transport options. I could almost keep my other appointment because it's 6.5 weeks after the first... But I'll wait and make sure that the 1st appointment goes ahead first (because if I messed up the booking somehow due to already being registered, then I don't want to miss out for even longer than October).

1. I was telling my mum a story over the phone and my dad interrupted twice with unnecessary advice (it was a story, it didn't need advice). The first time I told him not to interrupt, and the second time I just repeated myself even louder to talk over him. I only got a little bit mad, which is better than previous times.
  2. I had super spicy instant ramen for lunch. Had to blow my nose and have a sip of milk before I could finish it off.
  3. I had exactly the right number of clothes pegs to hang my laundry on the line today, with things requiring two pegs having two of the same colour peg. But another of my old grey pegs broke so I might not be so lucky next time.

1. Yesterday I scoped out where I have to go for my vax appointment, so I won't be freaking out when I have to go there with a time constraint on Tuesday. There was a moment of "this whole thing is hopeless, I'll have to cancel because I don't know where to go" but I got past that and found it.
  2. No scary traffic issues on this morning's bike ride.
  3. On Tuesday I should also know if I have to attend a black tie event with just over a week's notice. No idea if they'll hold it, because apparently last year's one had different events in some cities due to border closures etc. But this year I know Sydney wouldn't be going ahead, Canberra's not doing well... So they probably won't bother having a physical event here unless they're desperate to hold something.

Last edited:
  1. The govt health vaccination system now shows my booking for this afternoon so I'm less nervous about having to sort out a booking mess when I get there (I'd made the booking with a different email address to the one I used to register, then when I realised straight afterwards I tried to correct it but it's only partially correct on the govt site... So at least now I know they've figured out the link). I'm going to ask if I can have my 2nd shot in 6.5weeks with my preexisting booking rather than coming back in 3weeks.
  2. I'm not coughing anymore after accidentally getting some breakfast down the wrong way. Didn't need that stuffing up the appointment.
  3. Even though we've received confirmation that it's unlikely that we'll be getting any new work in my team which is a massive bummer, at least I know I'd be wanted in other teams if I have to change roles.

Well I got too nervous to ask if I could keep the old appointment so I let them cancel it and book a new one for 3 weeks. But oh well. At least I got here OK and I'll be able to do the same in 3 weeks time.

And I might have something new to do at work although it looks like a pretty small task unless I'm mistaken.

1. Managed a conversation on the bus, since I didn't ride to work today in case of vaccine side effects.
  2. No problematic side effects from my first dose.
  3. Instead of taking a break from therapy (I can't yet, anyway, because it would mean I'd need to hear back from him when I wanted to resume and that's not happening) I'm going to try and take a break from the forums and just write my stuff in a journal instead if I need to.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. GP was very nice when I went for my painless carpal tunnel (just causes numbness in two fingers). I get a steroid shot eventually after a nerve test. (In the meantime, I sleep with a wrist immobilizer.)

2. Brother in law who lives in another state visits later this month. He is a professional roofer and will be helping me with a chicken coop roof.

3. My guinea fowl are very healthy. And they seem super happy when eating grass, which is plentiful with all the rain.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. Dogs are getting along with the three free-range Silkie chickens.

2. No drama with returning a bad car battery to Walmart for a refund. (It died after only one month. Got a new, more expensive one at AutoZone that has better specs.)

3. Store manager at Safeway was very nice. (They seem understaffed since he did my pickup order himself.)

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.