More threads by gooblax

1. I had sufficient time to slow down and manoeuvre around a car that swung around to pull out of a double driveway. Reminds me why I hate riding on the footpath but there's not much choice there.
  2. Replied to a mentoring email from my old uni, saying I'd be interested if I can still participate from interstate. I'm nervous about it and don't see what I have to offer, but coincidentally there was a video I watched about accepting responsibility, on the same day as I got the email... So figured it was important to try it even if I can't actually do it.
  3. I noticed a splotchiness across my desk and cup and spoon at work - looks like someone did a spray with big droplets and didn't wipe it, which is gross... But it means I know to wash my cup and spoon before using it.

1. Did a bit of impromptu public gardening this morning because someone had done 1/4 of a job removing the mini trees that block the footpath. They'd cut about half of them, and left them laying on the path so I had to pull them onto the grass so I could continue riding.
2. As a result I had a bit of a comedy situation. It was wet so the dirt was sticking to my hand and jacket and pants. I had something in my eye, but couldn't wipe the dirt off my hand sufficiently to be confident in wiping my eye without making it worse. Eventually I managed to wipe it and feel like it was gone, but the feeling came back when I was at work. I went to the bathroom to sort it out... And found a 2mm square of what I can only assume was bark.
3. Trying not to get annoyed at body corporate suggestion that we enforce an annual aircon servicing requirement, considering that I never use my aircon.

1. Submitted my details for the mentoring thing. The person at work who I thought I needed to run it past has been sort of away (I saw them at a big meeting on Monday but they were on crutches so likely they're off on leave for that) so I decided to just do it and ask for forgiveness later.
2. Didn't get wet on the bike ride this morning.
3. I'm feeling pretty good at the moment. Although I wish I could go out for lunch and it's only 8am.

1. Couldn't get my list generating on mobile method option 2 to work, but managed to hit the list item in via option 1... So here we are with a numbered list.
  2. It didn't start raining until I was having my shower at work.
  3. Only 1 week til my next therapy session. Psych will probably send the receipt from last one either tomorrow or early next week.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. Had the best bagel in my life (at my new favorite addiction, Panera Bread). It was very soft and loaded with carbs.

2. Front suspension on the car was replaced for cheap by neighbor mechanic -- using old stimulus money. Now the car (which has a hemi engine) drives like dream on the mountain curves. (I have to remind myself to slow down.)

3. Rooster still cracks me up when he gets excited about treats. I shared my cold/overnight oatmeal with him and the hens today.

Last edited:
  1. Someone cleared the footpath! Well, the worst part where I'd wasted 10 minutes pulling the plants off the path. They cleared away the ones I'd moved, the ones that were partially cut, the giant pile that had been left on the footpath that people had just been riding onto the grass and into a puddle to avoid, and the ones that hadn't been cut yet. There's still other parts of the path (ie. most of it) where you have to duck and weave to avoid things, and the giant puddle that never dries at the southern end (speaking of ducks, they think it is a pond) but it's a definite improvement.
  2. I realised that there's hot chocolate powder at work, so the coffee machine can make hot chocolates rather than just relying on hot milos. It's pretty weak but tastes better than the one from the old coffee machine.
  3. Probably supposed to be a positive that I'll be facing a social situation that I've avoided since it went badly last time. I have a team outing tonight which in itself would be fine, but we're going bowling which is not fine.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Bowling is such a strange activity (I won't call it a sport).

You go to a bowling alley, hand in your shoes, and rent their shoes (gross).

You spend a lot of time sitting down and doing nothing, and then every once in a while you stand up and roll a ball down the alley. Then you sit down again.

The snacks they sell are usually as bad as the shoes. Make sure you eat somewhere else before you go.

There are only two circumstances in which bowling is actually fun:
  1. You had a supply of alcoholic beverages before you arrived at the bowling alley and they sell alcohol so you can keep your buzz going; or
  2. You're there with young kids (like 5-10 years old) and you're watching them bowl because that is truly hilarious. :)

Alcohol might be an idea. It only takes like half a standard drink for me to start feeling it, so I wouldn't even have to pre-drink.

What was so bad about it last time is that I was self conscious and was really bad and doing a lot of gutter balls, to the point where someone was trying to teach me how to do it. I didn't care about getting the worst score, but the whole thing just became awful.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Just keep saying, "That's okay... I honestly don't care how I bowl or about my score... just here to drink and socialize."

That was usually my strategy when I went with work people (years ago back in Montreal). And I was young (like barely 20) and hadn't yet learned how to pace myself when drinking so it was usually pretty obvious trying to teach me anything was pointless. :D

Then I went for a few years when my kids were young and that was genuinely fun. It's so funny watching them try to swing a big bowling ball between there legs and roll it down the alley... taking about 5-10 minutes to get to the end. Ha ha! :D

Yeah that might work. That particular bowling experience was when I was in uni, so hopefully it'll be different with coworkers. And we're only there for an hour before we head to a bar, so the worst part won't be for too long.

I can imagine it being pretty fun to go bowling with kids. I used to kind of enjoy it when I was a kid too, aside from the bowling balls always being sort of slimey.

Negative 1 - they'd taken away the chocolate drink powder. Wtf mate?
Positive 1 - Survived bowling and bar with colleagues. Met some people I hadn't met before. Could've easily gone home an hour ago though, cause I was pretty useless for the last hour. Just missed the more convenient bus too, but I'm on the less convenient bus (aka the last bus home unless I want to walk for an hour) so that's something.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. Husband got first COVID-19 shot yesterday at the Veteran's Administration.

2. New therapist is working out. (At least she doesn't remind me of Dr. Phil, haha. She reminds me of one of my intellectual female friends when I was in high school.)

3. Enjoying shopping for eyeglass frames online (while waiting for OCD support group to start).

Last edited:
  1. Cleaned some of the mud out of my rear derailleur. Seems to have slightly reduced the creaking noise on my bike. But I was in two minds about whether to do a proper cleaning job because it's just going to get muddy again this week thanks to more rain. I probably should've but didn't.
  2. Going to really try to sort out my professional membership application this morning.
  3. Not feeling tired this morning.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. Great veggie pizza (Papa Murphy's take and bake) with artichokes, zucchini, etc.

2. Got a $100 Amazon gift card for only a half hour of my time (being interviewed on Google Meet by a market researcher for a startup called Flossy). She was very nice and took a lot of notes.

3. Big dog got groomed again.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.