More threads by gooblax

GaryQ

MVP
Re: 3 Positive Things Part 6

Prices are based on many factors. There are many more Jags in the states than in Canada. This one was actually a US car. Is under 100K KM (they have a switch for the display for km or miles.) Had the sports package with 17" wheels and he added 19" wheels. It was a summer car and actually worth more or less what he's asking but I'm not interested in paying what something is actually worth since I know there are always surprises that will pop up. A car needs repairs and upkeep. and the famous "Not safetied, but won't need much to pass inspection is usually a sign of stay away!" Or my favorite " Runs great but battery is dead so can't start it to check it out "Sure, I have booster cables, how about we just give her a boost and see how great she runs? :lol:

Rust is a fact of life and lack of proper care. They barely use any salt in Manitoba except of the major highways (not the city ones) but I've never seen so many rotted out rocker panels in my life. Reason being undercoating and rust proofing isn't done here (I think there's only the Canadian Tire in Steinbach that does it in the whole province from what the guy said. In Quebec they open the doors drill some holes in your rocker panels spray in rust proofing and put little plugs then when you buy a used car you check and make sure it has the rubber plugs and the rocker panels are usually not too bad or in good shape. Plus annual undercoating is a must. Here it's not done.

And the worse rust buckets are North American cars. Expecially GM, Ford and Dodge minivans. They all have supplemental air conditioning from the bottom after 5 to 10 years.

Winter tires have been mandatory in Quebec for many years now. Here I'm not really sure... MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance.. Like DMV and Monopoly insurance company all in one) started a winter tire financing option through most garages that signed up. So in other words people are paying twice as much for winter tires. Oh and full coverage insurance minimum here then you add how low a deductible and liability etc options you want to add. All aded up with your yearly registration. That 2001 Jag was almost 1350$ a year for pleasure not all purpose. My Focus costs me $820 a year (24$ added in for 12 monthly payment financing) but I saw it actually dropped down to under $750 this year (of course 2 months after my January renewal)

Rock auto is great, awesome prices but shipping is insane to Canada. Looked at a kit for front complete struts and rear shocks and the prices were great but just under 100$ shipping! And if ordering multiple parts you have to make damn sure they'll be coming from the same warehouse or you're paying shipping from both.

In 2017 there was a great place in Saskatchewan online awesome prices for parts but they aren't in business anymore. Bought most of my parts from them and shipping was free over 100$ which isn't hard to reach when you are ordering car parts.

Amazon isn't great for car parts in Canada. It's mostly the usual online sites selling through them and you have to watch out for cheap Chinese parts. Prices look great but they just don't last.

Many parts are worth going to a pull your own scrap yard.

And the MPI auctions every Wednesday In Winnipeg are a great place when you want to get a rebuildable or a parts car. That's where they sell off all their write offs. Everything from hail damage which doesn't need a body integrity inspection, salvageable (needs safety and body integrity... gets a rebuilt title on the registration once cleared) and even with minor damage a 2nd write-off can never be put back on the road. And since it's govt insurance and a monopoly you can guess that body shops here make a killing since they go by what MPI estimates the job to cost just like dentists when you have insurance. The out of city auctions cars are at some garage all over the province and you can go see it and make a closed bid online. Then you find out on the day after closing if you won it or not.

Years back when I was thinking of starting a small part time business restoring a few cars a year (max 4 without a car dealer permit) and selling off high end salvage parts I had actually made a program that downloaded all the listings, info and pictures off their auction listing pages and then updated with the sold price. That way I was able to track what a specific car went for and with the pictures saved (they disappear once the auction is done) I had a good reference if ever I bought anything. And using a database searching and compiling info was easy. But as everything else it went nowhere as I got sicker.

GaryQ

MVP

And the 2001 Jag s Series is designed from the lincoln underbody. They're Ok for Canadian winters except rear wheel drive even with the traction control isn't the greatest in winter time.

@Daniel I think the AWD is a fad thing more than anything. I've plowed through almost foot high banks with a Hyundai Elantra. You're safer and better off with a front wheel drive and good winter tires than relying on AWD which contrary to 4 wheel drive which can be enabled when needed is on all the time and increases gas consumption enough to make a difference.

More drivetrain components to wear out too $$$

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I think the AWD is a fad thing more than anything

Maybe for city folk :coffee: We need it sometimes in the summer just to get up a muddy hill to the road.

GaryQ

MVP

A hill? What's that? Haven't seen one in a year and it had asphalt :D

One thing I love about the prairies... flat forever!

although when I had my 944 and went to Quebec a few times with it, it was a blast driving through the hills and around the bends without heeding the slower speed warnings going around the bends. That "Over glorified VW" as some nay sayers called it, sure, it was considered and called the "poor man's Porsche" also, but man, when you hit the road with that car you didn't want to stop.

GaryQ

MVP

1 - Dentist texted me early this morning asked how the socket was and to see if I wanted to come in at 2 today.
Texted back still in pain. So today was off. waiting till end of day to find out if she'll do it tomorrow morning as planned or if I have to wait till next week.

2 - No Dentist … yahoo get to do my laundry since my time slot is this afternoon... just love doing laundry :rolleyes:

3 - My post will be short for a change cause I can't think of 3 things... Make something up, I can't no matter how positive I try to be...

GaryQ

MVP

Well this aint positive so I'll keep it short and sweet.
Texted dentist pain at extraction site feel like a dull toothache not getting better. I also avoid any bad words :(
But I'm really sick of this never ending ongoing nothing ever goes smoothly (censored)

GaryQ

MVP

I do have about 1000 mg of clonazepam but with my luck i'd probably wake up in a week feeling like crap

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

1. Research project is going well.

2. Been relaxing a few minutes a day on an inversion table. Supposedly will help prevent future back problems.

3. Enjoyed a Chinese restaurant, including the free hot tea, after going to the gym.

1. Plant is still alive for the moment.
  2. Submitted feedback for a work thing before the deadline.
  3. I haven't been actively making myself feel worse.

GaryQ

MVP

Friday night Had written bud an email without really mentioning my intention. Decided not to screw up his weekend and put it in draft folder till monday and popped my pills and 4 mg of clonazepam Hoping to get some sleep. Woke up wide awake 3 hours later around 1 am. Even more p'd off that the pills didn't even make me sleep.

looked at the hockey preseason stats and then said F*** IT, pulled out my credit card and subscribed to the early bird full season pass Rogers NHL save 20 by doing it early. 202$. Enough of this cheap SOB sh*t. Only passion I have left is watching the Montreal Canadiens play. Only thing where I can dream for a while of seeing the cup come home at least one last time. I used to get the French package for 63$ a year but that only gave me 60 games out of 82 games and needed to have TV to get the remainder. And if they made it the playoffs too. Which worked ok when I was in Winnipeg. Of course the new non flash system keeps screwing up and resets the game to the beginning over 10 times a game and what's pathetic is when they play Winnipeg I'm blacked out and hopefully the VPN redirect through Toronto or Vancouver trick will still work. Thankfully they only play them twice.

Then proceeded to watch the first 3 preseason games which I already knew they won but since Montreal was not in the playoffs last year my hockey buzz died early and have been aching to watch a game and see the new kids play.

Then went to Walmart for 9 and there was 2 of the same Chapman chocolate brownie fudge ice cream hidden way back still on sale. They came home with the few things I needed.

Then managed to get get some sleep in afternoon then watched the kids shootout the Ottawa Senators 4-0. Pretty cool since we only had a few regulars playing.

Bonus: that new prospect we got in the Pacioretty trade along with Thomas Tatar (which we had to take off their hands in the deal or Vegas couldn't take Patch because of the salary cap actually is one of our best players and was a bonus for the trade) anyway Tatar was one of our best players and Nick Suzuki has developed amazing since we got him in the trade. He's on his way to winning a roster spot and being one of our best players with heart, talent and an amazing sense of hockey 2 outstanding players, a great still young veteran and a young outstanding prospect all for a lazy "you guys go and do all the work and get me the puck so I can score" guy.

Bonus: no more "figure skating picture taking players on the team!" It's now loaded with heart grit and fearlessness again. Sure we got no 100 points 50 goal scorers. But we got guys now ready to put it all on the line night after night. And that is something worth watching even when you lose a game.

P.S. decided the draft email i wrote for bud was better off being sent to the trash can and deleted it permanently.

- 1 dentist 4:30 tomorrow

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Enough of this cheap SOB sh*t.

That's how I feel now about HBO streaming now -- well worth it.

What I find ironic is people who have plenty of money will do pirate streaming. Greedy! It may be part of the reason HBO is raising their monthly fee from $15 to $20 a month.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

1. Having fun in my yard watching jets put out a wildfire that is 10 miles from here.

2. Luckily it should rain tomorrow and the next day.

3. Fire is headed opposite of our direction (towards forest instead of people).

BONUS: Local fire department is giving updates on Facebook.

GaryQ

MVP

Wonder if dentist will be able to make molds tomorrow. The last extraction isn’t healing as fast and there doesn’t seem to be much of a healed clot. Hole is very deep and seems like I have to push it down for it to not hurt. Still feels like a 2 day old extraction. Maybe she should have given me an RX for antibiotics. No smell but it wasn’t one of the break the jaw extractions and it’s the root area that hurts.

I hate dentists... I don’t care how sweet, kind, caring, generous and compassionate she is she’s still a woman that inflicts pain and torture for a living. And all the great technology they have now has changed nothing since I was little many many years ago. It still hurts like a bitch when they tip out a tooth. Or drill deep in a tooth that’s not 100% frozen. I sucked that one up to get it over with ASAP and avoid more needle jabbing but let me tell you it sure as hell was not fun.

Hopefully since you're going back anyway you can at least talk to her about how it's healing and whether there's anything she can prescribe now.

GaryQ

MVP

1 - Still sore (actually due for some Tylenol) but the gums are slowly shrinking closing up around the last extraction site which technically is a good thing. And as @gooblax mentioned maybe she can prescribe something if there's a slight infection or something. Tylenol ain't really effective for tooth pain

2 - One sunny day without rain forecasted for the next 10 days and it just happens to be today. Sweet :)

A42541A8-E5F6-4654-B330-D2990B22ADCA.jpg

3 - Went to bed past 11... wide awake at 3 and still can't sleep... at least my appointment isn't till 4:30 but have the Diabetes Télé-care nurse scheduled to call at 2pm. Maybe sneak a few hours sleep somewhere in before then.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.