More threads by gooblax

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
BONUS: Today, husband won a 2-night stay at a local hotel. (He was the winning caller to our radio station, and we already picked up our free voucher.) Having our staycation next weekend.

Last edited:
Hope you have fun on the staycation. :)

My dad calls into his local radio station sometimes to try and win things, but they're a community-run station and extremely disorganised. When he won 2 bottles of wine he had to go twice to try and pick them up, find someone who knew about it (because they didn't have a centralised list), and also had to sit there waiting for an ON-AIR break before someone came to find out what he was even doing in the building.
Another time he was meant to win one prize (I think it was tickets to some show), but when he went they'd run out of that prize, and substituted it for an office chair which had to be delivered while someone was home. Pretty good chair though.
  1. There was almost a chance for me to get an appointment for Pfizer... but by the time my colleagues and I had established that we might be eligible to try and book for it, all the appointments were taken. However it's still a positive because the form said that these appointments were for a 3 week trial to gauge interest level. So if they're all booked up, then there's certainly interest and hopefully they'll extend to more appointments.
  2. Feeling ok about my therapy session today and I have my topic list ready. But I'm feeling a bit sad (maybe because of missing out on item 1) so that might affect things.
  3. I made an omelette for lunch today - onion, tomato, parsley and cheddar. I haven't perfected how to prevent them from sticking so it was a very ugly mush omelette by the time I'd got it off the pan but it tasted good.

1. Calmed myself down before sending an email with the f word in it. I never seem to get anything intelligent out of any interaction with the IP team at work. Apparently I have to update a form to include "the necessary information" about something. But I don't know what "the necessary information" is, otherwise I bloody well would have included it the first time. There should have been an extra field on the form so that IP could have put their own comments in, rather than this ass about face shitaround.
  2. Had garlic bread for lunch, and I have a chia seed pudding instead of a milo.
  3. It's Friday, and only 10 new COVID cases here. Fingers crossed tomorrow is also good news and we get out of lockdown on Sunday arvo.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Narrator Sir David Attenborough: "The Australians are a rugged but rather strange breed, known for distortion of the English language and feasting at Maccas on the local version of the Big Mac using Vegemite as the special sauce."

1. Got to work before they sent an announcement saying we're back on week-in / week-out for the office... Without any consideration of the fact that everyone's changed desks so the previous allocations no longer make any sense. But now we're stuck wearing masks at our desks, even if no one is sitting nearby.
  2. The person from the IP team didn't actually want me to redo the form, and was able to put the information in herself. Not sure why she asked someone else to do it first up but whatever.
  3. I'm feeling a bit more normal now compared to before riding to work. I dunno why I sometimes get so emotional when nothing at all is different and I'm not thinking about anything in particular.

1. It was a pretty good bike ride this morning even though I was 10 mins late.
  2. Finished something at work.
  3. I think the reason I've been more emotional is stupid hormones, again. The positive being that knowing the reason, I could choose to be kind to myself about it. And so far I've managed it without needing other input, and haven't made it worse.
Bonus: Since we have to wear masks all day at our desks for at least the next 2 weeks, I bought 4 new reusable masks online to match my 'favourite' ones (that I was given by my workplace, after signing for them). They're being shipped so maybe I'll get them in time for next week. Until then I'm swapping between my two favourites with a wash overnight and hang up to dry during the day... Which will be fine as long as the weather stays good.

Double bonus: I'd started thinking upsetting thoughts, but then I read a misinformed post about COVID vaccination shared on fbook by someone I used to go to school with (or actually their younger sister who was a couple of years younger than me)... But being annoyed by the misinformation partially distracted me from what I was thinking. Plus 2 out of 3 comments on her shared post were saying that they disagree.

Last edited:
  1. Didn't have much anxiety calling a store's customer service to ask if I'd still be able to exchange an item past the 30 day period.
  2. Didn't waste a trip trying to exchange it. The 8 day lockdown wasn't a good enough lockdown to extend it. I have to either go back to the original store (which is a 1hr trip there, vs. 30mins to a nearer store where I was hoping to go) and ask the store manager, or send an email to ask them. Can't be f'ed going back there so I guess I'll just keep the stupid thing.
  3. Going to go buy some weetbix and baking paper so that today isn't a total waste.
Bonus: Taught my bf the box breathing technique when he was having an anxiety attack.

Last edited:
  1. The pesto pasta dinner I made last night was pretty good. It had 'fake' vegan pesto with tofu because that's what I accidentally bought, but that still turned out OK. I want to add more basil to it for eating the leftovers which isn't a problem since I bought some.
  2. I've found a use for the dice I bought for playing D&D (but am too intimidated to actually try playing it with anyone so the dice were going to be pretty useless). I have to roll the d20 and do the number of pushups that it gives me, roll again for how long of a rest, before repeating another 2 times.
  3. Not sure if it's the weather warming up that's making me more emotional but I don't have to be mean to myself about it if I don't want to. Spring tends to be a bit tricky for me because I'm used to sort of bracing for colder weather (as much as you count Brisbane winter as colder) but then that goes away and I'm left on-edge for nothing.

Knowing/suspecting the reason doesn't seem to help that much unfortunately. I still get sucked into some self destructive thinking and getting more upset, although it hasn't been too bad yet I know it's just a matter of time.

1. Got to sleep a bit earlier so I wasn't quite as tired this morning. Although I had a mini nightmare.
  2. It was cloudy during my bike ride to work so the sun wasn't in my eyes (or more importantly, the eyes of the drivers who were passing me).
  3. I'm in QLD which had 0 new COVID cases yesterday, compared to over 600 new cases in NSW.

1. Made stovetop popcorn for the first time. Previously I'd only ever made it using a popcorn maker - the same bright orange one we had when I was a kid is still going strong at least 2 decades later. My attempt on the stove was surprisingly successful, after yesterday's foreshadowing of doom when I brought the popcorn home only to discover that the bag had split and spilled kernels into my shopping bag (most of the time my groceries go into a plastic bag, then into my backpack. Thankfully only a couple dozen kernels had spilled in the plastic bag but not out into the backpack.). I think I'll get myself a popcorn maker anyway for the future, but it's nice to know that I can do it on the stove without disaster if I want to.
  2. I'm finally writing up my notes from my last therapy session.
  3. For the first time I really noticed the "I should quit seeing my therapist" thought as being an intrusive thought, interrupting what I was already thinking. I'd been trying to write one of the positive things from the session but wasn't thinking about my therapist himself, or about me, or about anything negative at all, and it popped right in there. Normally it's at least somewhat related to what I'm thinking about, but this one wasn't even a "oh you're enjoying this positive thing too much, you should stop it" type of segue. I think it was just plain old intrusive.

1) Made pizza with a homemade base, and it was pretty good.

2) Finally got invited by the Dept of Health to make a vaccination appointment. Took the 1st available slot by the time I saw the email which is mid October.

3) It was a good bike ride this morning and I'm not feeling quite as emotionally yuck as I was before.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.